Help Please!!!!

shanerules

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
shane
HI im shane ive been herping for years i have at least 48 various herps. now i know thats not alot to all u really good breeders but im an amatuer... But thats not why i asked for help i have been looking for caudates since March. im aware that because of the season change most caudates are hibernating but i would REALLY appriciate it if u all could give me tips on where to find them. i flip log after log but all i find is five lined skinks and snakes. is there any specific ways to find them? please reply or PM me.

thanks
-shane

-if reptiles are outlawed consider me jesse james.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest going out after a good rain. Try different times of day. Also, it may benefit you to get a field guide for your area to see what lives around there and research their movement patterns. I have also used google to locate hiking groups who will hike out to specific areas just to find newts and salamanders that they have seen there in years past. Specific locality information we cannot give you here publicly, as we try to protect the native caudate populations.

Shane, 48 is a lot. Small is beautiful. The fewer you have, the more attention you can give each and the more likely each is to get good care.

I was going to say,,, 48, wow, I couldn't cope,,,,
Maybe you have a sexed pair and 46 morphs, ho ho ho merry newt-mass...

Finding salamanders can be an awfully difficult task at times. I would suggest following Travis's advice and finding a field guide to let you know where and what animals are common in Missouri. A little searching on the internet or in the library should get you information on their likely habitats and then you can go from there.

Persistance and timing are keys. If you can search in appropriate habitat during or right after heavy rains, especially in the spring you may have better luck than if you go when it is dry.

I removed your request for specific locality information because it is against our policy.

thanks

ok thank you every one i will definently check out the field guide thing and hiking trails also.

John,most of my animals are in perfect care i have more than enough time to take care of all of them and the few that arent doing good i have or am going to take them to my local herp vet. but thank you for your concern. :)

thanks for your help
-shane

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back