Help plz

Lisa33

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have recently purchased a sick Axolotl from a pet shop that I couldn't leave there. I have 2 Axolotl already who are healthy and happy so my heart went out to this poor guy. He is very underweight, slimy and has strange lumps on his body. I have tried all different types of food but he still refuses to eat. He was on small stones in the shop and was fed on whole mussels. The tank was so dirty. He is now on sand and has a happy set up. I'm new here so not sure how to pot a pic of him. Any help would be much appreciated.

I think you are in the rong spot for help. You should repost in help section. For now i would keep it by itself . Might want to wait before putting with your other axolotls in case it's sick. live earth worms are highly recommended. You should get more help by someone with more experience if you ask for help in a different part of this site add pictures. lumps on head might not be good? But should have better end of its life with you instead of at a pet shop. Good luck

paperclip.png

choosefile.png

paperclip2.png

I would move the Axolotl into it's own container with cool dechlorinated water.

The Axolotl has likely suffered from poor water quality, temperature, and ingesting gravel.

Depending on its weight, it might be worth fridging it which will allow better healing and to pass any gravel that may have been ingested. Then feeding may be easier, but we will need to see the condition of the Axolotl first before the fridging method is used.

Which foods are you trying to feed?

Post pictures asap

Hi thank you. He is in his own tank away from the others. Thought about the fridge method but wanted to see what others thought first.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 129
Thank you. I did try to post elsewhere but it kept prompting me to post here as I am new to here. I'm trying to do the best by him. Breaks my heart to see the state he was in.

Ahh yes it would only let you post here as your a new member.

Can you post more images at different angles.

Is this tank cycled? What is the water temperature?

Hi yes it is cycled and temp is 12-14 o Celsius. I have uploaded 3 pics but not sure why they arnt all uploading.

When you click the paperclip and select an image to add, go back to the paper clip to select the next image to attach.

Thank you will try again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 152
Poor little thing. Well done for rescuing him and giving him a more suitable and healthy environment.
I'm not experienced enough to give you any advice on the health of your rescued axolotl, but just wanted to say hello and offer some moral support.
The experienced keepers and breeders on this forum are brilliant, and I'm sure that they will be able to help you.
Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Will do and hello to you too. I have 2 others that are happy, fit and healthy and seeing this poor guy just broke my heart. We are taking the fridge approach and he is on day 1 so fingers crossed all will be well. Will keep you posted on any progress ��

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back