Help! Possibly sick axolotl

pulcino2

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Help, please! I have done the most stupid thing I can think of, I cleaned my sponge filter with tap water. And put it right back into the tank. Now after I did this, my axolotl started swimming up to the water surface more and more often, so I did the only thing I could think of and I poured 4,5 ml of water conditioner into the tank (45 litres). I am literally in tears cause I don't know what else to do, please, help me, everytime he swims up for air I feel like he's gonna die. The pet store workers told me to cycle the water for a week, and so I did. When I put him in the tank everything was just fine, but a couple days ago he started swimming to the top for air more and more often and chilling under the filter, he also flaps his gills quite often (an average of every 6 seconds).

Last edited:
Flicking gills is completely normal. They are moving the water to get fresh oxygen. Cycling a tank takes much longer than a week. Do you know your water parameters? The best course of action is to do a 50% water change with dechlorinated water.

You should tub your axolotl with 100% water changes daily. Also, measure your water parameters. Your tank is most likely uncycled.

What water conditioner are you using?

1 week is never going to cycle a tank - this is a 4-8 week or more process.

I would tub your axolotl and do 100% water changes daily.
Buy an API freshwater master test kit and test all 5 parameters.

Your tank is likely uncycled and you will have ammonia showing likely nitrite and likely no nitrates.

Here is my handout on cycling

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back