Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help sexing yellow spotted salamanders

Simland

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if any one could help me sex these yellow spotted salamanders.

Salamander Sexing Slideshow by simdesign1 | Photobucket

The first 3 pictures (two belly shots and one back shot) are of the bigger of the two salamanders and the last two are of the smaller one.

If it helps, the bigger one is roughly 6.5 inches long and weighs 14 grams and the smaller one is roughly 14 inches long and weighs 7 grams.

If you need more detailed shots, let me know and I'll zoom in and crop.... I can't find a way to make photobucket allow you to zoom in as much as the pictures can take.

Simland

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm hoping at least one of them is a female.

I haven't taken another close look at their cloacas since I took those pictures. But I did get the impression that, both of their cloacas have shrunk since the end of their breeding season. To me, that would suggest males, but I have to take a better look. Particularly at the one you think is a female.

Anyone have any idea what the estimated maximum size is for a male? All of my sources only say that the males tend to be smaller than the females.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1