Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: HELP! Sick axolotl not eating.

21stewarte

Reaction score
I’m concerned about my axolotl Toothless. He won’t eat. Ive tried five different kinds of food red worms, earthworms, blood worms, pellets, and clams. He will nip and nip and nip at the food but he won’t take anything in his mouth. He has gotten very skinny and his gills have shrunk. Water is at 65° with a very slow filter. Water changes happen once a week and the tank is 30 gallons. Has several rocks and caves and a plastic plant. No substrate on the bottom. Had him for a year. Lives with a tank mate and they both get along very well. Is a one and a half year old assumed male melanoid axolotl. Is still active. Im concerned because he wants to eat but won’t take anything in his mouth and is starting to look emaciated

Kingfisher

Reaction score
You need to buy a water testing master kit, like API freshwater master testing kit. It can be bought at any pet store that sell tropical fish or online like Amazon.

21stewarte

Reaction score
Alright I’ll try that. I’m unsure the issue is with the parameters though, because I have another axolotl in the same tank who is completely healthy

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Some axolotls can react more severely than others with parameters, will wait for the results though. If you need to get a test kit shipped you can take a water sample to an aquarium store and usually they can test it for you in the meantime.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!