Help! Tail rot?

Kelswap

Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed last night that my axolotl's tail was peeling so I isolated him but this is what it looks like this afternoon. Does anyone know why this happened? I have another axolotl in the same tank and she's fine so it must be an injury of some kind right? I have an exotic vet nearby but I won't be able to take him there until Monday at the earliest.
20210501_143055.jpg
20210501_143101.jpg
IMG-8534528b0a44630c8c09dde8039af655-V.jpg
IMG-2128545539dc32dfef83ca96106b33fc-V.jpg

I noticed last night that my axolotl's tail was peeling so I isolated him but this is what it looks like this afternoon. Does anyone know why this happened? I have another axolotl in the same tank and she's fine so it must be an injury of some kind right? I have an exotic vet nearby but I won't be able to take him there until Monday at the earliest.
View attachment 88342View attachment 88343View attachment 88344View attachment 88345
it looks like someone took a particularly nasty bite out of your axie. the white i’m seeing is either fungus or just skin//tissue thats died off (correct me if i’m wrong)
i think the best thing to do would honestly be to amputate the emd of the tail, it doesn’t look like it could heal on its own. it would likely fall off anyways, it looks to be barely handing on. (again, correct me if i’m wrong)
maybe some more pictures, with better lighting?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back