Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Tip of the gill turned white...

alex85atlas

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm new on the forum. I have a problem with one of my axolotl... few days ago the tip of one of the gills has turned white and has lost filaments. I'm really sad because he had very beautiful gills. Do you know what’s happened to him? I show you the pics how he was before and how he is now. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• AC6C1866-AEB6-4322-A3E0-9893CFFF91B8.jpeg
    AC6C1866-AEB6-4322-A3E0-9893CFFF91B8.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 625
  • 82CD5BCD-A1D4-476E-BED2-B66091346F05.jpeg
    82CD5BCD-A1D4-476E-BED2-B66091346F05.jpeg
    586.1 KB · Views: 288

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
First things first have you tested your tank for ph, high range ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate with a liquid test kit?

I would tub and do 100% daily water changes with prime treated cold water.

This is usually from a spike or uncycled tank

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
How long has the tank been set up?

The loss of gill filaments is from water quality or missing elements.

You could try plain pickling/aquarium salt, johns solution or holtfreters solution.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1