Question: Help with hatching please!

Brigitte

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I have about 30 eggs and 8 were hatched yesterday morning when checked on them after 14 days but the remaining eggs still haven't hatched. One or two definitely seem to be developing strangely but the rest seem fine and move on occasion. How long do I wait before I open the eggs and help them out? It has been over 24 hours since the first ones hatched. Thanks!

14 days is an average - some eggs hatch at 10 days, some not until 20. Just leave them be and let them do their own thing.

Also depends on the temperature, having the water around 20 degrees Celsius can speed the process up, but I don't bother doing this.

If your concerned about the way some of the eggs are developing then post some pictures. If you find some of the eggs to be going cloudy white then these eggs will not hatch and are not viable so should be removed. If you see anything that looks fluffy and white developing on these cloudy eggs it could be fungus so they should be removed asap so not to affect the other eggs.

Check this link to see how the embryos typically develop over two weeks: Axolotls - Embryo Photo Log

Thank you both for the good advice! All larvae are out of their eggs and seem to be doing well!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back