Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with my babies

cbzplace

Reaction score
My caecilian, 'rubber worm' just had 3 babies. Little miniatures of herself. I keep her in a 30 gallon aquarium which is 18 inches tall. there is foliage and a rock ledge at top just at water level and below. she likes to be under water in a cave at bottom of tank. the babies are all up at top on the plants and ledge. Is this ok for them to be that far away from the mother? Do I need to put them into a smaller tank with less water? I always thought they'd dry out without being in water. What are my babies going to eat? I have feeder guppies in all sizes in there and I put in brine shrimp and dried bloodworms as well as a food mix for my tiger barbs and tetras that are also in the tank. Do I need to do anything for them? My tank water is 78, should I warm it up a bit? Thanks!

nate

Reaction score
First off, congrats on the new additions :D

Your temperature is decent, the babies like it a little warmer than the adults, but 78F will work. If you can crank it up to 80 for the babies, that'd be ideal. You don't need to worry about the seperation from the mom, she doesn't care and doesn't provide them ay further care. Most importantly, you'll need to make sure they are getting food. They'll eat frozen bloodworms, various predatory fish/catfish chows & pellets and other prepared foods just fine....if they come across them. From the sound of your tank, you might want to put them in a more shallow set up by themselves to make sure they eat. Neither the babies nor the adult can reliably catch guppies, so no need to buy them. Instead, offer chopped nightcrawlers, shrimp, etc.

cbzplace

Reaction score
More help please, babies are dieing with white fuzzy spots

I have a little ledge for them to stay on it is half in and half out of the water. They sem to like it up there. They've been eating the bloddworms really well. But one by one they are developing spots, they get fuzzy and white and then spreads all over their entire body. They become more and more listless. Then they die. This has happened one by one. She ended up having 5 and now there are only two left with the largest and I though healthiest now covered in fuzzy whiteness even though yesterday he was fine. He seems ot just be floating around the tank now too instead of doing anything. I had moved the tank temp up to 82 and starting putting some ampicilan into the tank in case it is a fungus. Any ideas??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1