Helpful rearing axolotl info for someone maybe

siftyzod

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hey there.
We where given some axolotl eggs( about 300) about 19 weeks ago and a small amount of daphnia.
Anyway, I was like ummm ok how will this help.
But anyway, I decided to do a bit of research on the daphnia first off.
I then saw some good tips on how to culture daphnia...Ok, cool. Next issue I have these babies and nowhere near enough daphnia, let alone trying to harvest these small things so I needed a solution....

So here was my idea...
I found daphnia like warm water, can have lettuce leaves in the water as a type of food source and need a small airstone...cool...
So axolotl need air stone and daphnia...
So what better way to do this than to culture the daphnia in the egg tank with a heater at 24 degrees, an air stone slowly bubbling away.Killing two birds with one stone, I thought.
I did not know if this would work, it was like, oh well it can't hurt...well so I assumed.
Ok, within 7 days the eggs are going good. Daphnia is getting more and more...
By the time the eggs hatched the daphnia was running the tank and babies had no issue of a food source.
I did a small amount of water changes daily and I mean a very small like 2ltrs from a 30ltr tank.
All the babies were removed when they had outgrown daphnia and were changed to microworms and in that tank the temp was slowly reduced to 18 degrees.
The daphnia is culturing good in the egg tank and now is running the whole tank and even to the point I am selling daphnia cultures from the tank.
All the babies are now homed and I had a 100% survival rate and daphnia has had 2 lots of eggs since. I am still using the small culture I started with and 3 other tanks full of daphnia so I can now have 1000's of eggs and no need to stress for food.
The daphnia culture I started with was not even good for feed on 4 babies. Now I am supplying daphnia cultures on the internet as I have way to much daphnia for anyones use.
So 3 lots of eggs 100% survivial rate..maybe I am just lucky...4th lot of eggs are in a tank now so guess I will find out...We get given eggs all the time as people local and beyond never seem to have enough food to feed all the eggs they seem to get. But be damned if we can get our own breeding pair to lay any eggs :lame: We hardly have to do anything with the babies like we spend roughly 1-2hrs a week dealing with the hatchlings if not less..I don't have to worry about remembering to feed them or change water as really we have left the babies unattended for 5 days while we were away and still not one death as of yet.

So please let me know if this helps or if you think I have missed anything or you have any further questions.
Glenn

Please use Capital letters and punctuation in your posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back