Herping Central France – Observations of Salamandra salamandra terrestris deposition sites. (Warning very pic heavy!)

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently visited a number of Salamandra salamandra terrestris deposition sites in the Limousine/Berry region of central France. S. s. terrestris were the dominant caudate in the area, utilising a full range of small water bodies for larval deposition. Water bodies considered suitable ranged from very small puddles (12 inches x 6 inches) to large permanent pools (20ft diameter). Sites were shared with other amphibians; Rana esculenta, Lissotriton helveticus, Rana dalmatina, Rana temporaria, Rana lessonae, Bufo bufo, Hyla arborea and Bombina variegata. S. s. terrestris tolerated the widest range of water bodies and were the only species found in small, shallow puddles. Other amphibian species all favoured larger permanent water.

Pool in livestock field:

Forest edge pool:

Track-side ditches:

Shallow puddles containing larvae (note helpful wife searching for next available log to flip).

By late May S. s. terrestris larvae in this region are between 5-7cm in length and nearing metamorphosis. Larger specimens already display black and yellow pigments with reduced gills. Larval size varied between sites. The largest and nearest to metamorphosis were found in permanent water bodies with a rich diversity of aquatic invertebrates and hence the greatest food supply. The smallest/thinnest larvae were found in shallow temporary water bodies presumably for the opposite reason – no permanent aquatic prey items were evident.

Advanced larvae found in permanent pools:

Some starting to show colour pigments:

Typical net haul:

Adult S. s. terrestris are particularly elusive at this time of year and as the summer approaches hide themselves deep into the forest floor, under rotting logs and bases of trees etc. Nocturnal searches around deposition sites, even on wet days proved fruitless. Adults were only found by turning logs. Near roadside sites dead adults were often seen flattened on the tarmac. Day time air temperatures ranged from 22C – 34C, although much cooler on the forest floor (sadly the only thermometer I had was on my car). Evening temperatures seen ranged between 11C – 19C.
In forest habitats small shallow puddles (created by tyre tracks and even footprints) were utilized. Anything over 1cm in depth and out of full sunlight was considered appropriate. Slow running, shallow water was also used.

Adult S.s.terrestris:

Forest habitat:

Larval density varied between pools; some containing single larva and others containing 100+. Pools closest to the forest edge tended to be the most densely populated, pools in open spaces with little or no surrounding vegetation were least popular. My initial thought was that larvae in such shallow pools must surely die as water evaporated. None were particularly young however and some quick experiments showed that if removed from the water their well developed limbs were strong enough to carry them quite a distance at considerable speed. It is conceivable to me that advanced larvae can make short journeys to neighbouring puddles rather than perish. This is just supposition though. Recent rainfall would suggest that the small pools were not created by evaporation of larger pools. Larvae were found in puddles containing around half a litre of water, not much more than a cup full – either they were deposited there or have somehow moved there during the course of their development.

Tiny puddle (foot print size) containing single larvae:

The larva from above puddle:

Count the larvae - example of larval density. This water is approximately 1cm deep.

Whilst population size, based on larval numbers, was far greater in forest habitats, S. s. terrestris was also found in good numbers on agricultural lands and within the built environment. Livestock pools, water troughs and roadside drainage ditches were all used for larval deposition often within close proximity of human habitation. Some roadside water bodies had thick films of oil sitting on them - pretty undesirable for amphibians, and yet the larvae still appeared to be thriving.

Livestock trough:

Larva within:

Near roadside sites roadkill was often observed:

In deeper water bodies S. s. terrestris close to metamorphosis were observed to float at the water surface, possibly due to gill reduction (?). It appeared to me that they become somewhat more buoyant and struggled to dive when frightened.

Some other animals sharing S.s.terrestris habitat:-

Podarcis muralis - Wall lizard

Bufo bufo - Common toad

Rana temporaria - Common frog

Juvenile Rana esculenta - edible frog

Female Lissotriton helveticus - Palmate newt

Same female with S.s.terrestris larvae

Male Lissotriton helveticus:

Larval Lissotriton helveticus

Tadpoles - not sure of species

This one was a giant:

Anguis fragilis - Slow worm

And finally the patient herper himself:

coendeurloo

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Coen Deurloo
Awesome herping account Mark, very interesting to read and view, thanks for sharing! France is indeed a wonderful country to observe S. s. terrestris, among others :)

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
That's so cool. How did you know that place? Did you know the people, or do you just go around crashing peoples' farms?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Lovely set of photos Mark, thank you :)
I´ve also seen large densities of S.salamandra larvae, it´s astonishing how common they can be when the habitat is right.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
(note helpful wife searching for next available log to flip)
I'd like to find one of those...

Fantastic account Mark. You did really well - I imagine it was hard to come by some of those (like the Slow Worm)? Makes me sad I didn't try doing something like that a few years ago.

5/5 thread rating! Thanks for sharing.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, folks.

Dawn – no farm crashing. My in-laws have a house in the area. We’ve visited a number of times and know the area well enough to explore with confidence. Rural France is awash with water bodies and an amphibian fans’ dream location. When darkness falls the countryside seemingly erupts into a cacophony of frog chorusing. I think I might move there... :)

John – slow worms are actually quite common in the region. I saw a couple of large whip snake (or something similar) roadkill and was disappointed not to find a live specimen.

benw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
sonic
Mark,
Brilliant thread with superb photos as always, with sals close to my heart.
Thanks for sharing them.

Ben

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Can the tadpole be R.temporaria? It kind of looks like some i´ve seen....

bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Julia
Lovely account and photo's too. Seeing the sloworm brought back memories of them bathing on the banks of the river at my grandfathers farm.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
Those Rana tadpoles could be Rana ridibunda. It's in the area and its tadpoles get pretty large (not American Bullfrog size but large).

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's very possible, John. I have large hands - that tadpole is well over 2 inches in length. Certainly the largest tadpoles I've ever seen in Europe. In fact my first thought was that they were actually American bullfrogs.

(PS - the tadpole in the container is not the same. It's from a different pool and is much smaller, ~1 inch.)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
It's very possible, John. I have large hands - that tadpole is well over 2 inches in length. Certainly the largest tadpoles I've ever seen in Europe. In fact my first thought was that they were actually American bullfrogs.

(PS - the tadpole in the container is not the same. It's from a different pool and is much smaller, ~1 inch.)
At that size I don't see it being anything other than Rana ridibunda. I am curious about the other tadpole - do you have any more photos of it?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only a front shot:

Adult anurans seen in the same pool included Rana esculenta & Bombina variegata

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
It's not Bombina. It has to be a Rana. It's a very deep fin though - I didn't realise how deep the fins on those can be.

Unrelated to this, did you see any Hyla?

Last edited:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hyla arborea are in the region and were heard calling in the field next to the house we stayed in. They have a distinctive barking/quacking chorus. I’ve found them there before but not this time. I could see the pools they were breeding in on Google Earth but couldn’t get to them without trespassing or being savaged by rabid dogs.

On a previous trip I left the windows open on the car one night and found one in the boot the next day. They must forage away from the pools outside of the breeding season.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
Beautiful field trip!

My heart skipped a beat at the picture of Anguis fragilis.

aramcheck

Reaction score
Country
France
I saw a couple of large whip snake (or something similar) roadkill and was disappointed not to find a live specimen.
Great trip Mark, makes me so nostalgic :rolleyes:...
I beleive you are referring to the Western Whip snake Hierophis (Coluber) viridflavus,

know as "La couleuvre verte et jaune" or "Le Fouet". It is one of my favourite French herps, and my Steve Irvinesque tendencies as a French teenage naturalist led me to a couple of rather bloody encounter with this rather irascible snake. I once cornered, in Dordogne, one almost 1.60m specimen, that stood its ground, facing me cobra-like and manage to strike me, inflicting a rather painful bite!<LINK href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ccczsouth%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" rel=File-List><LINK href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ccczsouth%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx" rel=themeData><LINK href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ccczsouth%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml" rel=colorSchemeMapping><STYLE> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </STYLE>

Last edited:

jelkins

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin Elkins
I enjoyed that very much...I love spending time tooling around pools and ponds looking at the critters; could spend hours each day doing it.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Great trip Mark, makes me so nostalgic :rolleyes:...
I beleive you are referring to the Western Whip snake Hierophis (Coluber) viridflavus
Hi Aramcheck, that is certainly the species I was seeing on the roads. Sounds like a bit of a handful!

They've just started flights to Limoges from Bristol so I think I'll go back later in the summer and look for these.

aramcheck

Reaction score
Country
France
Sounds like a bit of a handful!
They are! A snake with attitude for sure, I searched google image and found a couple of interesting pix:

and that one, labeled "Jean-Pierr<WBR>e Baron showing the bite and hemi***** of Hierophis viridiflav<WBR>us."

I am visiting family in Bordeaux, Toulouse and near Perpignan late August, I hope I can convince wife and oh so enthousiastic teenage son ("great, I haven't watched you upturn logs enough already")to go herping in each location!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sal22:
    I think my axie is dying, he’s never had any issues before, I’ve had him 3 years, today I noticed some fluffy looking stuff coming from his genital area so I took him out of his tank and did a full tank clean to make sure the water wasn’t infected as I thought it was fungus and then I noticed he had a cut on his belly which was only small about 5 hours ago and now it’s spread to all of his belly, what do I do I’m freaking out
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    Update about my axie, unfortunately he has died over night, he looked as if he was bruised allover his belly, his mucus layer had also started to come off.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    Anyone here from DMV?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Hi I have 2 4in juveniles (I’ve had them about 2 weeks and they are doing well I think they’ve grown a little already honestly) but I am supposed to go on a 5-6 day vacation in October about 3-4 months from now. I am wondering how I should go about their care when I am gone. I thought about putting them in separate (fairly big) containers with live plants and/or bubblers with a fan in the dark and either fridging them (my last plan) but I am hoping to to either have someone I trust come feed them and turkey baste waste out or just leave them out and clean the containers before we leave and have someone come check on them once or twice. Does any of this sound like a good or bad idea? I want the best for them. All help appreciated :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    @patrickstar116, do you still have your fire salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • patrickstar116:
    @Ganaa, I do you may message me if you wish
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    hi.....
    +1
    Unlike
  • JDeslippe21:
    Hi, so I have 2 male axolotls and about an hour ago they were both perfectly fine and now only one of them has his tail curling up and his gills are slightly curled?? But other than that they’re both acting normally
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Could be he's just excited, spooked or temporarily stressed, which could pass in a few hours. It could also be an indicator of other problems. Do you have any recent water parameters?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Does anyone have any idea how to help with high ammonia levels? I have the API freshwater master kit and everything else’s test results were great besides ammonia. I did a 50% water change and I use API products including ammonia lock.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Help! I got my first axolotl two days ago and they have stopped eating. They ate a few frozen blood worms the first day and haven’t eaten or been interested in food since. I feed them frozen blood worms and the tank is around 64 degrees. I do have a filter that moves sometimes and I noticed them swimming up to it, I have a new filter and a fan coming today or tomorrow. I leave the worms in the tank or a little bit before taking them out so I don’t know if they ate when I wasn’t looking. I know it takes a while for them to digest. Does anyone have any tips or knowledge they can share? The pet store I bought them from didn’t have gravel or sand in the tank so I’m not sure if theres an issue or if I’m just impatient. Thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu, how big they are? also for substrate, i would not do gravel at all I would either do sand or none at all!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    They are about 2-3 inches long and I have them in a bare bottom tank
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu I would say try live black/blood worms untell they are full or just turn there head away ( that's what mine do) if that does not work try to get some live brine shrimp and see if they eat that. baby axolotl prefer live food over frozen food as the frozen food is too cold for them or they can't eat it in one go( that's if you do the blocks) mine eat chopped up frozen thawed shrimp. as for them not eating from what I have experienced with my second axolotl, I got her when she was about an inch long and she ate every day, when they start getting 3-4 inches long they will gradually slow down there eating. and if you really want to do substrate I would do sand because if they do ingest a little bit it won't hurt them.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Thank you so much for the information and advice! They are eating again, they ate a lot today. I think it might have been stress from the move or digesting old food, I also noticed they ate some of the food left in the tank (I removed the rest). I’m going to keep the tank bare bottom.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu,your so welcome im glad to be of help! and I'm glad that they are eating as well!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AidanD has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MotherofAxolotls:
    Does anybody know where I can find a Starburst Wild type axolotl??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alice28:
    Good morning everyone.
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    morning!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MotherofAxolotls, i have like 3 but they aren't for sale T-T
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MermaidMommy has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • MotherofAxolotls:
    @HalfDrunkToast is their a price that could change your mind? 🙂
    +1
    Unlike
    MotherofAxolotls: @HalfDrunkToast is their a price that could change your mind? 🙂 +1