Herping in eastern kansas.

firesalamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dylan
I have been herping in eastern kansas for a while now and I still haven't been able to find any smallmouth salamanders. Any tips on how to find some would be helpful.

I have read several times that they are very difficult to find. As far as environment look in wooded areas around vernal ponds. Flip logs and so on. Depending on how hot it is they are probably burrowed in pretty well. Your best bet may be around their breeding season when they are on the move. I found one in a five year old deteriorating woodpile once. I kept the one I found and I would say they don't make good pets. Other than redoing his enclosure once I have only seen him out and about three times in the middle of the night. Definitely a secretive species. Some natural pics would be great though.

Do you know how I could catch some tiger salamanders? We live in the far east corner of kansas.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back