Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Herping in Scotland

ali000

Reaction score
I have never been field herping before but this summer we are going on holiday to Scotland so I intend to give it a try whilst in greener parts. I'm also hoping that by dragging hubby along I can get him interested in newts (and show him the advantages of getting yet another tank!).

We will be staying in Balloch on the shores of Loch Lomond, can anyone recommend a good place to go near there? Would I be best to just going along the streams that feed the loch?

As I said I have never done this before so I'm going to read all I can in this section before we go, so sorry in advance for all the questions I'm bound to start asking!

Thanks Ali

Last edited by a moderator:

ali000

Reaction score
Ooops, just read the locality policy...o.k ignore the bit about where :eek:?

Would still like some tips on HOW though. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
hi,
to be honest i'm not sure where near Loch Lomond would be good, but if you get in touch with Glasgow University, someone who works in the Biology Dept. is organising a Great Crested Newt count in a couple of weeks. i will try and find her contact details for you.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
hi,
............. sorry there's been a bit of a problem.... my mum, well she's not too happy about me giving out people's personal details so..... sorry. i'm sure there are many other people here who could tell you good places to go looking for Newts. i actually have some sites here which show you where to find them however i think you may be a little late to look for the adults, you may just find some larvae. still larvae are just as good as adults right?
http://www.jncc.gov.uk/publications/JNCC312/species.asp?FeatureIntCode=S1166
this one shows how to identify adults, habitats and also laws on touching, selling etc.
http://www.overthegardengate.net/wildlife/frogs.asp

Blackhawk

ali000

Reaction score
nevermind Blackhawk, I fully understand.
You have been really helpful, thank you :D

I'll let you know if I find anything :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!