Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Herping in Southern California

Snakebytes4324

Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking around for years, and its a pretty dead area for amphibians. Does anyone know any good spots for amphibian herping in southern California like the Long Beach area? Not even the pet stores have anything, I'm aware some laws a while ago changed the trade drastically. All I can find now is dart frogs at reptile expos and on the rare occasion, I do see a fire belly newt it would be 60$ for a juvenile, as well as fire belly toads used to be 5$. Anyways I've been missing the hobby and have been wanting to find some local species. Does anyone know any good spots?

Aj323

Reaction score
I looked into this, as a SoCal resident. This is a helpful website
There are various herping forums with more info, but I decided wild helping isn’t for me and got a pair of ribbed newts from a seller on this site. But I might sometime drive to the San Diego mountains to see if I can find a yellow blotched ensatina, I hear after a rainstorm they are found along the roads and on the roads. With a fishing permit of course. Most ensatinas are in Northern California. Hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1