Hi! New keeper here, just introducing myself

Arbsquid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone! My name is Sam, I'm a new newt keeper with three Triturus Marmoratus babies. I've attached a picture of the fresh 20gal setup I've got going for them, as well as pictures of the three babies themselves from when I released them into their tank. I'm mostly an invertebrate keeper (several isopod and many springtail species, as well as tarantulas, roaches, millipedes, etc). But after getting a frog (C. Cranwelli) back in July, I've really been interested in amphibians and decided to head into Caudata territory. I really love these guys, and have so far been feeding them Hydei fruitflies and small pieces of crickets (both dusted of course.) I was really surprised how calm they are, even taking food out of tongs without being nervous. I hope to raise them up to be nice healthy adults, and hopefully breed them. It's nice to find an online community for these interesting creatures, as it seems very much like a niche hobby here in the US.

Attachments

• 20231010_133336.jpg
    20231010_133336.jpg
    927.3 KB · Views: 416
  • 20231010_135012.jpg
    20231010_135012.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
Welcome Sam!
I think just from looking at your tank set up and selection of moss and plants that you should fit in well! It's nice and refreshing to see new people that enter this hobby and actually do their research before owning these great looking marbs! Keep up the good husbandry and I'm most certain these newts will give you numerous years of smiles!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back