Hiccups in Salamandra S. Terrestis?

R

rob

One of my S. s. terrestis' keeps diong what appears to be a hiccup.

Anyone have any insight?

J

john

That's usually a really bad sign - possible bacterial septicemia. Are you keeping it very wet or with little ventilation? Has the brightness of its colouration disappeared?

R

rob

I have four of them in a thirty gallon tank. I just changed their soil several days ago and other then the original moisture in the soil I've misted the tank once.

His skin colour does look dull compared to the other fires.

Should he be removed from the tank? Should there be anything else?

R

rob

I isolated the one fire in a dry tank with one hide.

Any other ideas would be helpful.

I didn't think just changing their soil would effect the moisture levels so much. He's been hiccuping for the past few hours, and was fine the day of the change (colour and hiccuping wise).

R

rob

Just an update: The fire who was isolated is now looking as shinny as the others, and all the other three are still completly shiny.

R

rob

Hey Timmy,

Yeah, I have some, I'll try to post them up this week.

Rob

R

rob

Well, he's become shiny again and eating (but not eating much), but still has the hiccups. I still have him isolated in a dryer tank and he seems to be obsessed with buring himself.

He does appear more active then before though.

I'm hoping that he'll recover with the extra attention. ANything else I should try?

Also, I should be able to put up pics this weekend...but they may be poor...of my animals. It's my first time with a digital camera.

Rob

A

amazon

lol. that actually sounds kinda funny, if it werent so serious... amphibians with hiccups... what's next?

R

rob

Well, it's looking a LOT better. I watched him for about 30 mins today and didn't see him hiccup. He has also regained 100% of his shiny gloss like look. I placed three crickets in there today, combined with two from yesturday, and now tonight I only see two of them left. The rest could be hiding, but I believe he has picked up in his eating habits.

Sorry that I didn't get the pics up yet. I think I'll try to do it right now.

Take a look over in the pics section...and remeber....they're my first ones and probably could use a lot of work.

Rob

J

john

Sounds like he's out of the woods. Keep an eye on him. As long as he stays bright and shiny, and keeps eating, he should be fine. Don't keep him too wet, too warm, or not well ventilated though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has joined the room.