High ammonia in a cycled tank and how to reverse use of API aloe vera water conditioner

Eimear

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi! My axolotl has been showing signs of stress (curled tail/gills). I did a water test for nitrate/nitrite/ammonia. The nitrite/nitrate levels are at 0 but the ammonia looks to be at a 0.5-1. I have also been using the API aloe vera stress coat water conditioner and I just found out that aloe vera is toxic for axolotls. I'm going to the pet shop tomorrow to pick him up his new tank (he's currently in a 17 gallon since he's young and the guy at the pet shop said it would be fine but I'm worried he has outgrown it). I'm buying him a 27 gallon tomorrow.

I'm planning on doing a water change with a new conditioner I'm going to buy tomorrow, the prime seachem one. I'm moving him to the new tank tomorrow but given the high level of ammonia & presence of aloe vera from the API conditioner, I'm worried this will continue to cause problems in his new tank when I put his old tank water in his new tank. Should I still retain 50% of his old tank water and put this in his new tank? I also don't want to lose all of the good bacteria but I'm worried about the presence of aloe vera/ammonia in this water. What would be the best way for me to get rid of the ammonia/aloe vera but also retain the healthy bacteria? Should I do a water change tonight to try and decrease the ammonia now, even with the aloe vera conditioner, or should I wait until tomorrow to do it with the seachem conditioner?

I would greatly appreciate some advice! Thanks!

Hi! My axolotl has been showing signs of stress (curled tail/gills). I did a water test for nitrate/nitrite/ammonia. The nitrite/nitrate levels are at 0 but the ammonia looks to be at a 0.5-1. I have also been using the API aloe vera stress coat water conditioner and I just found out that aloe vera is toxic for axolotls. I'm going to the pet shop tomorrow to pick him up his new tank (he's currently in a 17 gallon since he's young and the guy at the pet shop said it would be fine but I'm worried he has outgrown it). I'm buying him a 27 gallon tomorrow.

I'm planning on doing a water change with a new conditioner I'm going to buy tomorrow, the prime seachem one. I'm moving him to the new tank tomorrow but given the high level of ammonia & presence of aloe vera from the API conditioner, I'm worried this will continue to cause problems in his new tank when I put his old tank water in his new tank. Should I still retain 50% of his old tank water and put this in his new tank? I also don't want to lose all of the good bacteria but I'm worried about the presence of aloe vera/ammonia in this water. What would be the best way for me to get rid of the ammonia/aloe vera but also retain the healthy bacteria? Should I do a water change tonight to try and decrease the ammonia now, even with the aloe vera conditioner, or should I wait until tomorrow to do it with the seachem conditioner?

I would greatly appreciate some advice! Thanks!
Bacteria is not held in the water, its in your filter and substrate (if you use sand). Using your old tank water is not advisable, especially if you've been using a product containing aloe. If you have high ammonia, your tank isn't cycled anyway so you really arent sacrificing too much by starting over. You can get good quality bacteria started to help jump start your bacteria cultures if you would like to. I dont know what products are available near you, but microbelift special blend and dr tims one and only are both good starters.

Bacteria is not held in the water, its in your filter and substrate (if you use sand). Using your old tank water is not advisable, especially if you've been using a product containing aloe.
Agreed, you will want all of that water gone ASAP

Bacteria is not held in the water, its in your filter and substrate (if you use sand). Using your old tank water is not advisable, especially if you've been using a product containing aloe. If you have high ammonia, your tank isn't cycled anyway so you really arent sacrificing too much by starting over. You can get good quality bacteria started to help jump start your bacteria cultures if you would like to. I dont know what products are available near you, but microbelift special blend and dr tims one and only are both good starters.
Thanks for the info! I did a complete water change and he seems much happier now :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back