Holding Containers

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis Summers
Hello all. What do you find to be the most useful holding container for observation and picture taking? I'm trying to find something that is both crystal clear and easy to carry. Thanks!!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
If you are looking to take photos of aquatic animals, a small glass aquarium gives the best results. However you run the risk of breaking it, particularly if you're hiking with it. Plastic always suffers from scratches so you can use it but you have to accept that the photos might not be as nice as behind glass. I've been using narrow rubbermaid containers for observation and transportation of aquatic animals (filled about 1/3 of the way). For photos I have been using a small glass aquarium (in the car) and a "critter corral" or some such from walmart when I can't carry glass.

Addition: I should add that I'm new to this so I'm not an expert on field work. I will however claim some skill and knowledge of how to get good photos so the glass versus plastic comment stands.

Last edited:

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis Summers
Thanks John. You take awesome pictures, so any imput from you is gold.

Anyone used any acrylic containers?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
The critter corral thing is acrylic I believe.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
Acrylic (plastic) scratches pretty easily.

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis Summers
Yeah acrylic does scratch easily and from my experience tends to be more brittle that a standard plastic tank. I'll probably just get a critter carrier. Let me know if anyones else has any suggestions.

elemental0619

Reaction score
Country
Chile
Display Name
Steve Dent
I use a critter carrier wrapped in a towel of rag in my backpack so it doesnt break or crack,i used it when i cought a couple of P. cinerus the other day,i might have pictures up soon.

Andy Avram

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are taking pictures of terrestrial, or semi-aquatic sallies in the field than a nice log or rock works well instead of containing them. If you want underwater shots than a glass aquarium is best, but plastic works well too. But a bit of the substrate in the bottom of the container, just a small amount of water and tilt it slightly. This pushes everything to the front you want to photograph. You can get really outgoing and make a permanant bottom and then just add water.

As an example this a siren I caught in Florida and photoed in a small critter keeper. The water was only about an 1" deep and went back to about 3" when the cage was tilted. Unfortunately I don't have a picture showing the process.

IMGP0728.jpg

I plan on getting a larger tank for photographing mudpuppies, hellbenders and what not. In that case I would leave the aquarium in the car and only use it when I captured and animal within close walking distance back.

Andy

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    My son and I have been looking for a water dog/tiger salamander for quite some time now with no luck has anybody know how or where to find any
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    @axolotl nerd, where can I find waterdogs or tiger salamanders my son has wanted one for a long time and I've been searching high and low with no luck
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @Jokerjay, its a good idea to tell people where you are from. This is an international group. I have eastern tigers, im in the uk.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Jokerjay, as in water dogs do you mean axolotls? i suggest very heavy research and a fully cycled tank before even considering purchasing one
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Axolotls are amazing until they get sick and then they’re a pain in the backside to treat - I recently lost two axolotls due to unknown causes
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Anyone from the us? Looking for at least one or two axolotls for me and my son to have our own at-home project together.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    i highly recommend “buyanaxolotl.com”- ive purchased from them and received a beautiful animal for relatively cheap, in great condition, and excellent shipping precautions. the breeders are a couple living in georgia (i believe, don’t quite remember) and they’re fantastic. sometimes their website contact page doesn’t work, so i’d probably try just emailing them. good luck and happy hunting!
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    do those aquarium fans work well for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sheryl Fraser:
    My little guy got stuck in the filter yesterday. His back leg is red. Will this heal
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Z-One has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Any recommendations on a water chiller for a 10gallon but will work for a 20gal when I decide to upgrade?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinc Tank:
    Anybody working with and breeding Salamandra salamandra salamandra?
    +2
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    heh
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alexmcc:
    Hi all I'm new here I'm just looking some advise on cycle witch is currently driving me insane . So we are week 8 I'm dosing daily with 4pp of amonia and for the last week has been dropping to zero witch I no is good. But my question is my nitrites are sitting at between 0.50 and 1.0 PM and nitrates are between 10 and 20 and neither of these seem to be dropping. I have done 2 40% water changes a few days ago and no change the only thing I can think of is I didnt use the seachem stability stuff which I have now ordered but surely that shouldn't have much difference this far into cycling
    +1
    Unlike
  • ytz13513:
    Dropping ammonia with rising nitrate and nitrite is good. It means the nitrifying bacteria is working. You just have to remove the nitrate from the water doing water changes. The level of nitrates is high and the nitrate is also high. The nitrite will be converted to nitrate using the beneficial bacteria and you can add them using quick start or allowing them to naturally grow in the tank. The latter option will take longer. The nitrate can be used by plants, so live plants can decrease the levels, but I would do a water change to get the nitrate at a level that is lower than 5 ppm. 5ppm of nitrate is natural and a good place.
    +1
    Unlike
    ytz13513: Dropping ammonia with rising nitrate and nitrite is good. It means the nitrifying bacteria is... +1