Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Honeymoon in the Smokies

hld

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new on this forum, and I've introduced myself in the appropriate thread! Nice to meet you all :) In short, I'm a grad student that has recently gotten interested in herping as a pastime. I'm currently TAing a herpetology lab at a college in coastal SC.

I'm getting married in May and my soon to be husband and I are going for a honeymoon in the smokies. I've spent a little time (a few short day-trips en route to other places) in the area looking for sals and have come up with a few Desmognathus complex sals and some Eurycea wilderae. This was just this past fall and it was relatively dry under most of the logs we flipped, so we focused on a small stream. We are hoping to see a bit more of the diversity in the park on our Honeymoon in June.

Does anyone else have any other tips or advice for us?

We are currently looking at cabins and thinking of staying near Cherokee, NC just to get out of the hubbub of the Gatlinburg area. Seems like it might be more our speed.

I've got a few of the resources mentioned in other threads on my wishlist. I'm currently using a Peterson's field guide and Salamanders of the Southeast.

We are really looking forward to spending some quiet days together relaxing and basking in the glory of nature!

Thanks in advance :)

Hannah

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can't go to the Smokies without finding salamanders. Try seeps, ravines, creeks, woods. Everywhere. Different habitats will have different sals. Get yourself a good topo map (I like big fold-out ones, rather than multiple sheets), and mark some areas that look like promising sal habitat. Then just hike around. Flip logs and rocks and moss (what you can without damaging anything).

You should look into staying in Townsend. Lots of cabins, cute little town, grocery store, gas station, etc. It's also RIGHT by a main north entrance (good area to look for hellbenders in the Little River, too). Right now, the main road through the park has been washed out by a landslide somewhere between Cherokee and Clingman's dome, I think. So if you stay in Cherokee, you'll have to drive all the way around the park to get to the north side.

The more field guides, the better. We must've used 3 or 4 when we went. Take pictures of animals from all aspects, especially belly shots. It's sometimes crucial to determine one species from another. Don't bother carrying the guide (unless you find a nice light one just for Tennessee), just ID stuff when you get back to the cabin at night. The Conant&Collins guide is like carrying a brick in your pack. lol

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
You'll be fine, just stay away from Gatlinburg especially the main strip! Although they do have a pretty big Aquarium, it may be nice to check out.

hld

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, especially about the road being washed out! That wouldn't have been convenient! :D

Vern5384

Reaction score
Be careful mandering in the park itself. It's technically illegal and you could get ticketed if you get caught. Be discrete, or otherwise stick to the National Forest land in the area. Just a warning. Have fun, though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1