Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Horrible Terrible Bloodworm Allergies

allegoriest

New member
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
110
Reaction score
6
Okay. This sucked. Like, alot. Absolutely horrible.

I was going to feed my fishies one night, really late, everyone else asleep, I was slightly out of it. (Wearing white too, to add insult to injury...) I had melted some frozen bloodworms to distribute between all of my tanks, and was about to pour them from a little plastic cup.

I lost my footing or something, and split worms everywhere. All over my clothes and carpet. And at first, I was like AUGH, STAINS AND WORMS IN CARPET. I started to blot them out and find the vacuum, until, I felt it.

Everywhere they had splashed on me felt like FIRE. (I mean, this happened in SECONDS.) It was burning and itching and it spread FAST. My skin was red and swollen, and then I started getting hives. It was BAD.

Fortunately, I was in my bathroom, and I'm like, sorta allergic to the sun. (I'm kinda diseased, don't ask.) And I rubbed on every topical thing I had hoping I didn't need to epipen or anything, cause, I didn't have one on me, and it was really late. (Like, 3 or 4 AM.)

At first, I assumed maybe it was just me, cause, I do have alot of allergies and thought nothing of it. A while later, I ran into a post on another forum, and apparently, there are a number of people who have this, and have gone into anaphylactic shock, and that it can be to the allergy level of bee stings and peanuts. (But apparently, that's mostly when they breathe particles of freezedried, and, most of us probably aren't using that.)

If you just google bloodworm allergies, it leads to alot of people's accounts.

I've HEARD its one of those things that gets worse over time, which I have no idea if its true, but it makes sense. I used to be just fine with them, which I know, because I HATED the smell of the freeze dried ones a few years ago, and everytime I opened them, the powder would get everywhere. Recently, it would make my fingers tingle and itch, but I nearly paralyzed one of my hands and injured the other, so I assumed it was just my hands being weird.

So, yeah, watch out for that. It was REALLY horrible and I'm deathly afraid of them now. (Too bad I still have like... a pound and a half someone bought for me when I was sick, with my money, that I can't return X___x ) Seriously, if you start expecting it, avoid them or get checked out. Cause, it is NOT fun.
 

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Joined
Apr 12, 2003
Messages
3,343
Reaction score
119
Location
Ephrata,Pa
I use bloodworms and am allergic to them also. They make my skin itch, my nose run, and my eyes swell if I get my fingers close to my eyes after handling them. I try not to touch the bloodworms at all but have had a few interesting incidents with them.
 

allegoriest

New member
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
110
Reaction score
6
Well, that's something I've never heard of before.
Hope you're none the worse for wear.


I'd never heard about it either, until much later. The scary part was, I wasn't allergic to them before, then after a few years, I had severe allergies from NOWHERE.


So yes. Let it be known that they are out to kill you. Slowly at first, then suddenly they attack.
I have heard that after you're around them so much, then allergies to them develop. I have no idea how true that is, and it makes no sense to me, but I'm a designer, not a doctor, so, I can't really argue that.
 

SludgeMunkey

New member
Joined
Nov 11, 2008
Messages
2,299
Reaction score
75
Location
Bellevue, Nebraska
One more reason everyone should read CaudataCulture. This subject is discussed there. Also a reason to read packaging. Most Brand name bloodworms have a warning on the lable.

I would like to add here this warning pertains to dogs, cats and most other mammals. My pug puppy El Guapo was nearly killed by a severe reaction to chironimid larvae last Saturday after stealing an empty package from the trash. I don't know which is worse- seeing my little buddy struggling to breathe or the 600 USD I shilled out for a night at the doggy emergency hospital ICU. It took four days of drug therapy and many belly rubs to pull the little dude through. I had to do fecal exams on his poo to prove this was the issue. Nothing like playing with dog poop to set you straight.

I now incinerate all bloodworm related packaging with a torch as a result.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • blubford:
    my idea was to have two one in the tank and one freezing and by the time the first melts i switch it out with the one freezing and repeat
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    and for the land i think they can just go into the water to cool off
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    yeah i think that sounds like a good plan :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • NeilP:
    Hello
    +1
    Unlike
  • NeilP:
    I have two axolotls (one boy and one girl) and I recently changed them to feeding every other day. Since then, the female has lost two gils and then red marks appeared on two of her legs Which my local aquatic centre said looked like bite marks rather than red leg) and this morning, the female's front left leg is having on by a thread. I was going to the by a divider for my tank to stop them mating but now it seems I need to buy it asap to stop the male eating the female. I have a 125 ltr tank so space should not be an issue, but does anyone have any advice and will the female need a salt bath or anything else?
    +1
    Unlike
  • the:
    she should be ok as axolotls can regenerate limbs, the only this i would say is to mabey feed the male more as this type of behavuor is uslay down to hunger.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    hey, anyone know how long bloodworms can stay in an axolotl tank before they begin to rot and cause an ammonia spike?
    +1
    Unlike
  • melon:
    I think it is always best to get them out asap but probably two days or so.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    its around 3 small pieces in the tank. Since i've just moved homes, my axolotl is still at my old house. Yesterday i fed him bloodworms and he missed a few. I couldnt get them out without a turkey baster and decided to let them sit because i was gonna move him to the house tomorrow. But now its late and I dont have a car and my dad wont drive me. Will he be fine?
    +1
    Unlike
  • melon:
    I would think so i would just try to get them out tomorrow
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    yeah, im heading over tomorrow morning to move him to this house and feed him. Thanks for the help!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    So my axolotl tank cycle just crashed and while i was in the middle of a water change my bucket overflowed and spilled water all of the ground in my brand new home. This is going super well 👍
    +2
    Unlike
  • the:
    ooff
    +1
    Unlike
  • the:
    good luck recycling the tank!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roach:
    do the classifieds still exist?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roach:
    nevermind! off my game tonight
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    Im so frustrated right now. My axolotl WONT eat and my tank still isnt looking too good. Some extra stress i needed.
    +1
    Unlike
  • John:
    Sorry to hear that Shane. Did you post about it?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    No, I havent. Im not really sure why he wont eat. Hes in a 1 gallon tub and still a juvenile. When i offer food he swims away from it. Does he need some extra time? or is this something I should be worried about.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JulMl:
    Hello everyone! I’m new in this world and i need some advices please! I have 2 axolotl babies and currently the water from the tank is from bottled water ( all parameters are good) but i want to change 50% of the water with city tap water. My question is how to change it? Do i need to get axis out, do the change, add the prime, wait (how much?) until its dechlorinated or i can add the tap water directly into the tank with axis in it, and add the prime conditioner? Thank you!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    1. You dont need to take them out of the tank to change the water as long as you pour it in slow as to not rattle them around too much
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    2. add the prime to your tap water, for most conditioners the consensus is 5 minutes of waiting time
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    3.After 5 minutes it should be safe to add
    +1
    Unlike
  • JulMl:
    Thank you so much !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    I private messaged you a bit clearer instructions just in case
    +2
    Unlike
    Asmold1: I private messaged you a bit clearer instructions just in case +2
    Top