Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hot Weather - Stressed Axolotl ?

Leo Manjuba

Reaction score
Hi everybody.
I am a new member from Brazil and as you can guess we are now in the summer here and it has been extremely hot.
I live in Rio de Janeiro and in the last days the max temp. has reached 35 oC to 40oC Celsius. I have managed to keep my axolotl aquarium below that but that is around 30oC.
As far as I have read my axolotl wouldn't resist that hot water but so far it is doing fine, it is eating well and it didin't show ant sign of stress.
So I would love to have more info about:
- Does anyone has kept axolotl n 30oC water ?
- If the Axolotl is stressed or affected by the heat which would be the symptoms ?
- The tank is small (around 20 lt) so I believe chiller wouldn't be a good option. Instead of chiller how should I keep the water colder (ice ?)
Thanks very much!
Leo

Skudo09

Reaction score
30°C is dangerously hot for axolotls. 20 litres is very very small for axolotls. It would probably be best to look at upgrading to a much larger tank size. Even though your axolotl may not be outwardly showing signs of heat stress, it doesn't mean the high temperature is not negatively affecting it. It is exposing your axolotl to a much greater risk of disease and even death. Signs may include lethargy, refusing food, gills curled far forward, tail tip bent, mucousy white patches on skin.

Get a larger tank (recommended minimum is 10 gallon or 40litres but the bigger the better). A chiller is probably the best option for cooling so it may be best to consider best tank size to allow for a chiller. Otherwise, fans and a mesh lid rather than a solid lid, limit lighting on tank, wrap damp towels around the outside of the tank.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Your axolotl is soon to be dead if you maintain that temp. You know what the care requirements are I suggest you implement them. Get a bigger tank, buy a chiller, use air conditioning to reduce room temp, icing the tank will cause temp fluctuations which themselves can be stressful to axolotl and is a poor choice of temp control.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!