Housing butterfly loaches with newts...

I

^imp^

I was wondering if anyone has tried to house butterfly loaches (aka hillstream loaches) with stream-dwelling newts.

Good idea? Bad idea? Generally, I'll try something if it doesn't pose a danger to the newts. I don't mind so much if the newts get a tasty treat, so long as the newt isn't in danger.

I don´t know if it´s dangerous but it would be a shame finding out the hard way so I suggest you don´t mix them. But I don´t mind if anyone else has another opinion.

I don't think its dangerous. From what I can gather, hillstream loaches lack spines and are not poisonous. Still, I would like to hear from anyone who has tried to keep these fish with their newts.

I will not mix them without being certain that the mixing will not bring harm to the newt.

If you check the archives, you'll note that I already suggested this - actually balitorines seem to work out ok in suitable tanks and since they are perfectly edible (quite tasty, really) no problems for caudates are to be expected...
biggrin.gif

However, balitorines are *usually* misidentified in the aquarium trade and IMNSHO you need to be sure what taxon you get so that their temperature requirements can be met. E.g. Cynops should do well with Chinese taxa like Beaufortia spp., Sinogastromyzon spp., or the larger Pseudogastromyzon spp. (myersi or fasciatus but cheni is probably too small). But since these are exported from southern China, you don't want to hibernate them at tempertures which are possible (but usually not necessary) for northern Cynops.

BTW, balitorines are de facto carnivores and usually starve to death in community fish tanks. If you feed your newts well, they should easily get their share (provide some extra food when feeding large food items to the newts) but monitor them (as well as the water quality!) closely during the first weeks. Don't be surprised if the fish decimate newt offspring and vice versa. I'm not sure wether I'd risk to put them into a Paramesotriton or Pachytriton set-up though...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back