Housing Size for Multiple A. mavortium

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Heather Jewett
Someone in my local classifieds is selling 5 A. mavortium and I am thinking of buying them. I currently house my single mavortium in a plastic tote that measures 31 inches long X 13 inches wide X 12 inches tall, with about 6-8 inches of soil (its deeper in some parts). After quarantine ( and depending on how big the new salamanders are) how many of the "new" salamanders could go in with my current sal? I was thinking of purchasing a second tote of the same size as my current and doing 3 and 3, but was also wondering if I could save space and place all 6 in the same container, and would very much like to hear what you other salamander keepers think. Could 6 adult tiger salamanders live in this space comfortably?

I would of course increase the number of hides, but I feel a little in the dark as I am most experienced with newts, and they tend to inhabit various levels in their aquariums, and not just the substrate. But since salamanders are fossorial they utilize their living space differently than many newt species, so I feel a bit inexperienced with this...

Thanks guys! The whole point may be moot - they may already be sold. But I suppose I will find out soon :)

HJ

for A.mavortium, the bigger, the better !

31x12x12 is the minimum for a single specimen

and you could house 6 in a 47x15x12,

4 inches of substrate is enough, but you will have to replace it every 6 months with 6 amby...

( lenghts converted from cm from France ;-) )

Thanks Paul! I will have to archive this info, though, as the salamanders were sold an hour before I contacted the seller :(

HJ

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back