Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How common is it to breed Bufo marinus ?

Badmungo

Reaction score
Hello.

I was wondering how common breeding Bufo marinus is?

As i understand they are hard, if not impossible, to get to breed in captivity but i find diffrent answers on the web and in litterature.

So you who have experience and knowledge. How rare is it to breed the Cane toad in capitivity? Is it done? And is it hard if you try?

I have, as you may notice, very little experience with toads, so excuse me if it is a to basic question but like i said. I have recived very diffrent answers when i have searched.

Best regards

Fredrik Olofsson

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m not sure how difficult it is but it can definitely be done.
If i´m not mistaken there are some members here who have succesfully bred them. Ian Rigg if i remember properly did.

Badmungo

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer.

So it can be done indeed. I honestley wasn't chure at eaven that. But now i know better.

But now to the question how common it is.

If i'm allowed to make a bad example? Can it be compared to breed for example, Ambystoma mavortium? It's possible but hard. And not that common?

And when you say "some members have successfully bred them". Do you mean a handful or quite many?

I'm not trying, or eaven own a cane toad. But i'n curios since it is one of the most common toads i capivity. I guess the most Cane toads in capivity are wild caught (?). Or im i wrong there to? And does the breeding in captivity match the number cane toads for sale in petshops and online? Or are there mainly wild caught individuals?

Fredrik

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Most cane toads in the trade are wild-caught, as its a rather easy undertaking in many places. I have bred them in captivity. They are very opportunistic in that regard, which makes them good colonizers, and adapt quickly to local weather conditions when relocated, be it Florida, Australia or Hawaii. Those I've kept in zoo and aquarium exhibits have responded to an artificial rain setup (water pumped from a pool into overhead plastic tubing) or, in one case, even to just an increase in the frequency and length of daily mistings via a hose. They seem to respond at any time of the year, in contrast to many species. Mine have had access to large (i.e. 3 foot sqaure ponds) but in some areas they are said to breed in quite small puddles and such.

If you would like to read more about the natural history and captive care of this species, please see my article The Marine or Cane Toad in Nature and Captivity http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...re-and-captivity-marine-toads-as-pets-part-1/.

Good luck if you decide to give it a try, frank

Badmungo

Reaction score
Thanks for yet a interesting and informative answer.

It raher sounds here that it's no problem to breed them. I still suspect thats not the case though. I know that they are very quick to adapt and colonize new terretories (australia for example) but i i'm not shure that they are easy to breed in captivity just because of that (now i must stress the fact that i have a very hard time to have a discussion in english because of great lack in writing and frasing in this language. As you probabley already noticed. Thanks for your patience though).

And as i have understand, its one thing to get them in amplex (is that the word? Hope you understand what i'm searching for) and onother thing to get them to fully breed. Its rather a big step between the two. Or am i wrong?

Like said here above, most cane toads in the hobby is wildcaught. Is that beacause they are hard to breed or simpley beacause of their great number in nature (yet again, i know what i want to say but i cant put in writing, in enlish that is) and the fact they can easely be collected and shipped?

I still dont think i have had a simple yes or no to the question if they are easy to breed or not. Or maybe its a stupid question? And maybe there is no easy answer? But to go back to my previosly (bad?) example:
If breed Ambystoma mavortium is concidered hard to in captivity. Are the cane toad concidered just as hard or is it just a question of trying and work hard enough (yes, i see that its a rather stupid question. But still, there it is...)?

Thanks for all the answers.

Best regards

Fredrik

Kerry1968

Reaction score
No help for you on the questions you asked I'm afraid, but I just wanted to compliment you on your use of English. You write very well and it is easily understood.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1