Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do I cool my Newt tank?

Hockeyrooster

Reaction score
I have two tiny firebelly newts that are in the EFT stage and on land almost exclusively. The temp in the tank is about 21 Celsius. I’ve added a couple of fans on top but can’t get the temperature down any further. They are in my basement out of the sun light with a low power led (that is further filtered with cloth mesh)

I keep getting told to lower the temperature but I can’t figure out how. Can you please help?

I thought I better clarify it is the air temperature I am talking about as the newts are still terrestrial.

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think they'll be fine at 21C (that's around 70-72F). The options for cooling a terrestrial tank are somewhat limited. A fan or screen lid are probably the best bets.

Hockeyrooster

Reaction score
Thanks! I have a mesh lid with a cloth screen (to keep the fruit flies in). The fans are on top of that.

I am also wondering about the activity level of my newts. They tend to hide in the same places and I rarely see them exploring the (20 galllon long) tank. these little guys are so awesome and I want to make sure we are taking the best care of them. I’ve just started dusting the fruit flies I feed them and have added bean weevils to the food mix too (even though I’m not sure they are being eaten).

chicco

Reaction score
Like Jen mentioned they should be able to tolerate 21C for the summer months. However, when I lived in Phoenix AZ I've cooled down enclosures using room AC units, mini fridges on low settings, and chillers. it may sound ridiculous...and it kind of is.. but with the chiller you could put your terrarium in a sterilite container, fill some of that container with water (enough to cover part of the terrarium but not to the point where the terrarium will start floating around) and chill that water...mini fridge probably won't work with a 20 gallon, the room AC unit is probably the more sensible choice...but I will say that the chiller method is super effective and lighter on the electric bill.
Just my 2 cents.

Hockeyrooster

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I was looking at buying a used mini fridge to cool the tank but the simplest solution may be to move the tank into our furnace room. It gets really cold with the a/c on-well probably a degree or two colder than the rest of the basement.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1