Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do I do a black tea bath?

milahoh

Reaction score
I read about black tea baths for sick axies, but I cannot seem to find instructions for how to perform one. I shipped two axies to someone overnight yesterday, and one appears to be suffering some ill effects from the shipping. New owner wants to do a tea bath, and I think this is a good idea. What are the steps/ concentrations? How long does one leave the axie in the bath? Thank you.

Zandy94

Reaction score
I read about black tea baths for sick axies, but I cannot seem to find instructions for how to perform one. I shipped two axies to someone overnight yesterday, and one appears to be suffering some ill effects from the shipping. New owner wants to do a tea bath, and I think this is a good idea. What are the steps/ concentrations? How long does one leave the axie in the bath? Thank you.
\

Okay so first, sounds more like shock. Tea baths are more for Axi's with skin conditions, If that's the case, you need a large container such as a lunch box (not the one a kid carries, the clear ones you use for salad etc). Put some water conditioner in, and pour boiling water over two/three tea bags. Wait for it to cool down completely, then stick the container in the fridge until it's cold. Place the Axi into the container, and put it back into the fridge for ten minutes. Take him out, put him back in his tank for a few hours, then repeat the treatment. Do this two/three times a day until he seems better.
Do not to it for more than three days! Tea shrinks their gills!!

milahoh

Reaction score
I am sure it is shock- something went terribly wrong due to my shipping them. One pooped in the water, and was so bad upon arrival that it has since passed away, and the other had clean water but now has peeling of his slime coat. This is a tragedy for all involved- these were dear pets of mine, going to be dear pets for someone else, so everyone is heartbroken. We just want the one to survive.

rachel1

Reaction score
My recommendation would be a methylene blue bath for ammonia poisoning. You can find methylene blue at some fish stores and in school laboratories. Add methylene blue to clean dechlorinated water a couple drops at a time until the water is a light blue color. I would soak the animal 10-20 minutes. This is most effective immediately on arrival, but will still help up to a day or so past ammonia exposure. Next time make sure you fast animals prior to shipping to minimize ammonia buildup in the bag during transit. I cool adults in a wine cooler for one full week prior to shipping to empty the digestive tract, and I add ice to the shipping box to keep the box as cold as possible during transit.

milahoh

Reaction score
I did not fast them that long, and I am sure that was a major problem. I will not be shipping again, no matter what. These were animals I dearly loved, and I was hoping this would be a great forever home for them. I have so much guilt. I love all my axies, and it's hard to let any at all go, but then for this to happen... Never again.

rachel1

Reaction score
Try not to beat yourself up too much. Accidents happen, and it sounds like it was just that- an accident. Shipping adults is tricky-they make a lot more waste a lot more quickly than a baby. I'm sorry for your loss. Best wishes, and I hope the other animal is able to make a quick recovery.

milahoh

Reaction score
Thank you. He is doing well, actually, without any intervention. Eating and looking much better. It is sad, but I definitely learned my lesson.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!