Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: How do I help my axie??? possible fungus

nina89

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need a little help, my axie has a few marks here and there i'm not sure about and what looks like fungus on the gills and toes. she has a black spot on her head(part of her colour maybe), and a few white patches here and there which I think are due to limb regrowth but can't be sure.
My main concern however is his poor mangled gills and fungas toes,I have put her in a container since bringing her home from the petshop and will be doing 100% daily water changes, I dont want to give her a salt bath yet because I'm worried about possible open wounds on the gills(maybe someone can tell from the pics). Putting aside the appearance of the axie she is in a healthy condition. I would like to treat her and need some help in what steps to take.

I have put pics so you can see her gills, toes(I cant get the best pic of), white patch on belly and some other discolouration.

Attachments

• 100_3726.jpg
    100_3726.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 416
  • 100_3723.jpg
    100_3723.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 100_3728.jpg
    100_3728.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 354

lea

Reaction score
Make sure her water is cool and clean.
Check your water parameters(this could leave the skin looking marked(tea baths will help flakey skin)), keep an eye on the temp and watch out for it spreading. I cant see if it is fungus or not, fungus looks like cotton wool stuck to them. One of mine had fungus and I just used a cottonbud and gently rub it off them, no salt baths needed. You may not have to treat it but you will have to keep a very close eye on her.
the leg and gills will grow back in time. The poor little muppet is having a tough time of it.

nina89

Reaction score
UPDATE:
She hasn't eaten since bringing her home I think I should start fridging!, the fungus on the gills seems to be gone could it be internal.. should i start fridging now, and maybe salt baths or tea baths(how long do you leave the bag in the water?). she is still quite active at night(being mostly nocturnal) swimming around constantly until I walk over then she stops all of a sudden(shy little thing).

(oh and i forgot to mention the other axie in the tank at my LPS with this girl had fungus (white stringy stuff)stringing from a big chunk on its top lip, so sad to see:() so I am pretty sure it is fungus from photos i've compared.

priesty

Reaction score
Hope she's getting better, have you started salt bathing yet?

Also I don't really want to start a new thread for mine but I'm pretty sure I have the same issue :(

My other axies are fine but I've just had to fridge my little dude, he's had his first salt bath today too

5ac0f8fb-b4bc-835b.jpg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.437659,-2.602845

nina89

Reaction score
Update. she made it. yay. after quite a while she is now fungus free and eating as per normal she still needs to grow back her gills but sheis fulll of evergy and she will be put in her own large tank this weekend. I will upload pics then. thanks for your info lea!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!