Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you deworm a tiger salamander larve

ladyleslie2013

Reaction score
OK, so my tiger salamander larva definitely has worms. How do i treat him? i have researched forever and not found anything really helpful. i have checked and we do not have a vet around here the will help me. the worms are getting bigger and more active. they are white and kinda flat. all he wants to do is eat. im feeding him everyday and he is not that fat considering how much he eats. can anyone help me?

ladyleslie2013

Reaction score
so im guessing you would treat a tigersalamander larve the same as an axolot? does anyone know where i can get Panacur? my baby is about 6 inches long, not sure how many mg i should do

ladyleslie2013

Reaction score
Flubendazole and Flagyl, which is safer for worms? we can i get these in liquid form?

how much do these cost? thanks

ladyleslie2013

Reaction score
i found this online do you think this will be safe. Will this work?

its reptile estra brand, by junglelabrotories

Anti Parasite Pellets for Water Turtles and Aquatic Amphibians

• Aids in the control of internal parasites and other intestinal worms in freshwater turtles, newts, axolotls, diving frogs, sirens and mud puppies.
  • Active Ingredients: Metronidazole (1.0%), Fenbendazole (0.5%).
  • Size: 4.5 oz
Anti Parasite Pellets for Water Turtles and Aquatic Amphibians
Formulated for freshwater turtles, newts, axolotls, diving frogs, sirens and mudpuppies. Promotes good
health by aiding in the control of internal parasites and other intestinal worms.
Active Ingredients: Metronidazole (1.0%), Fenbendazole (0.5%).
Ingredients:Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat, Wheat Middlings, Corn Gluten Meal, Fish Meal, Hydrolyzed
Feather Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Manganese Proteinate,
Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Calcium
Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Yeast Culture, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement,
DL-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Supplement), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin,
Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid,
Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate
(Source of Vitamin C), and Fish Oil.
Guaranteed Analysis:
• Crude Protein (min) 33.0%
• Crude Fat (min) 6.0%
• Crude Fiber (max) 5.0%
• Moisture (max) 12.0%
• Ash (min) 7.0%

Attachments

• pet meds.jpg
    pet meds.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 760

esnailme

Reaction score
I see that the op had been inquiring about deworming meds.

DISCLAIMER:

The information listed below is what has worked for me and many others for aquatic pet hobbyist!!!!

I have also used this same method on my turtle and dart frogs.
The turtles and dart frogs I gutloaded live foods e.g. waxworms crickets,

Panacur (Fenbendazole) is the same as Safeguard dog dewormer.

Safeguard can be found anywhere that sell dog food and some pet stores.

The Safeguard you need is in the yellow box with 3 packets..

The medication is of a granular consistency.

I have used it a zillion times on my wild caught seahorses.

Now granted seahorses are a totally different species.

I also use Panacur as a preventative measure on any fish that I get from the pet store.

I just recently dewormed my puffer fish. (Now puffers are super delicate)

I used freeze dried krill to deworm my puffers.

The thing with the method that I and countless others have used is that deworming takes place over a period of time.

So this is not a one time shot treatment.

The parasites will die of a period of 9 weeks which is the most popular deworming method.

The regimen that I use is to gutload live brine shrimp in a panacur solution
(1 gallon of dechlorinated water to 1/4 tsp of panacur)

This will produce 222mg of panacur

The brine shrimp will need to stay in this solution for at least 2 hours.

The brine shrimp will appreciate the aeration.

Drain brine shrimp in a coffee filter or brine shrimp net.

Then feed out.

Be sure to observe to be sure the brine shrimp are being ingested.

This procedure should repeated for one more feeding the next day.

Then repeat this treatment for 2 more weeks with 2 feedings on 2 separate days

The next step is to deworm with Flagyl (Metronidiazole) and Prazipro (Praziquantel)

This is one of the gentle ways to deworm.

I have seen others that are more harsh and are done over a 5 day period using Panacur. In my opinion the 5 day method is too much too soon to treat any parasitic load.

note: in the wild any fish, amphibian, etc normally carry some amount of parasitic load. it is when they are stressed, immune system drops and any and all disease processes kick in.

I have not had a fish, seahorse. turtle or frog die from deworming using the above protocol. If indeed death ensues.......it is not due to deworming. The death may have been from a sick animal from the beginning and this is a totally different story. There are some exceptions to the deworming.

I hope this lengthy explanation clears up any questions regarding general deworming. If ever I had a wild caught newt/salamander, I would definitely use it as a preventative manner. This is why a lot of hobbyist encourage captive bred specimens to avoid this issue altogether. Also not to mix captive bred with wild caught unless the wild caught specimen has been properly quarantined and dewormed.

Felecia

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Flubendazole and Flagyl, which is safer for worms? we can i get these in liquid form?

how much do these cost? thanks

Hello,

Flagyl (metronidazole) does not affect worms.

I have to say that I really feel you should see a vet if possible to get the worming sorted out. First to confirm what sort of worms are involved (not sure where you're seeing them?), and then to determine the appropriate treatment and dose.

There is also the risk of fatal reaction to dying worms if there are a lot to begin with, and the vet might advise covering anti-inflammatory and antibiotic treatment.

There are very good reasons of patient safety why vets in many/?most places are not allowed to give out specific advice without seeing the animal - it is irresponsible and potentially dangerous for the animal.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please explain exactly where/how you saw the worms. Treatment may be an unnecessary risk.

esnailme

Reaction score
Please explain exactly where/how you saw the worms.

The treatment is carried out prophylactically on any and all aquatic/non-aquatic pets that I have owned that were wild caught.

Wild caught animals naturally carry a parasitic load.

The worms may or may not be seen with the naked eye in feces.The fecal consistency will be seen as stingy poop (feces) while the pet is in a bare bottom quarantine tank.

Normal consistency of fecal pellets (feces) should be formed.
The feces are seen while the specimen is in water.
Like I said there are exceptions to this rule. I have been searching on this particular sight and have not seen very much on the subject of deworming wild caught specimens.I definitely do not want to ruffle any feathers on the subject. I found out the hard way about taking in "wild caught". Basically you don't know what you are dealing with when you buy or find wild caught animals.

Due to this whole deworming subject, I kind of steer clear of wild caught specimens. About 8 months ago.....I bought a lot of wild caught seahorses/fish taken directly out of the ocean.

I learned the hard way it is cheaper to steer clear of this type of animal. After the cost of meds and 9 weeks spent under observation it is much easier to invest in animals that have been captive raised.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Do keep in mind this original thread is from September, 7 months ago. Her larval tiger salamander has surely undergone metamorphosis since then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!