How do you make your axolotl not scared of you?

Lynn claire

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
So basically i got an axie a few weeks ago, its fine but whenever i tried to interact with him he would just be scared of me. I tried using the method where i just give him food in the same time everyday, but i dont think its improving so please if anyone can help. Thank you:)
20210116_095201.jpg

First, I suggest you continue feeding them directly, make sure they see you drop in the food. Then, when you do water changes, allow the little guy to also see you, if stress level is permissible. If they want to hide during a water change, let them hide.

Second, and every now and then, you should do a larger than average water change, and take the little guy out and put them in a tub, feed them there, clean the tank, let them sit there. Mine got used to me from that handling process. She won't even fight me now, sometimes she swims up against my hand. I do a 50% water change ever week then a 75-90% water change once a month, and that's when I take my girl out of her tank and into her tub, by hand, gently, and she gets into the tub, she turns around, watches me clean the tank, then I give her food, wait for her to eat it, kill time for 20 minutes, then reintroduce her to her clean tank. That process has gotten her SUPER used to me. Though mine is 3, and she's been around me since like day 1.

Does your little guy follow you around as you walk by yet? When it's earlier in the day, like around noon, mine will sit in the corner of her tank, facing outwards, waiting for me. When I come down, she swims up and starts begging for food. She recognizes me, she doesn't do that for my parents or the stupid cat.

You just need to be slow going, repeat the process over, and just make sure you don't press to hard. Eventually the little guy will be cool with you. Don't rush it on the handling thing, if you're not comfortable doing a super huge water change and taking them out into a tub while you clean, then wait till you are.

Patience. Though your little guy looks super excited there, not like defensive, but definitely paying attention to something.

First, I suggest you continue feeding them directly, make sure they see you drop in the food. Then, when you do water changes, allow the little guy to also see you, if stress level is permissible. If they want to hide during a water change, let them hide.

Second, and every now and then, you should do a larger than average water change, and take the little guy out and put them in a tub, feed them there, clean the tank, let them sit there. Mine got used to me from that handling process. She won't even fight me now, sometimes she swims up against my hand. I do a 50% water change ever week then a 75-90% water change once a month, and that's when I take my girl out of her tank and into her tub, by hand, gently, and she gets into the tub, she turns around, watches me clean the tank, then I give her food, wait for her to eat it, kill time for 20 minutes, then reintroduce her to her clean tank. That process has gotten her SUPER used to me. Though mine is 3, and she's been around me since like day 1.

Does your little guy follow you around as you walk by yet? When it's earlier in the day, like around noon, mine will sit in the corner of her tank, facing outwards, waiting for me. When I come down, she swims up and starts begging for food. She recognizes me, she doesn't do that for my parents or the stupid cat.

You just need to be slow going, repeat the process over, and just make sure you don't press to hard. Eventually the little guy will be cool with you. Don't rush it on the handling thing, if you're not comfortable doing a super huge water change and taking them out into a tub while you clean, then wait till you are.

Patience. Though your little guy looks super excited there, not like defensive, but definitely paying attention to something.
Ahh okay then but may i ask how to pick him up?

Mine, well, ok, the first few times I had to pick her up, she swam everywhere and refused to be caught, so I had to take everything out of her tank so she couldn't hide under anything. After the first few times, she's totally ok with me handling her. I use my bare hands, usually just my left hand. My axolotl is 3 years old, full grown. Using a net may be better for a smaller one but the issue with nets, and the reasons why I refuse to use them is that axolotls gill stalks and their filaments can get caught in the mesh of the net and I do not want that to happen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back