Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: How do you treat for heat stress? help please axolotl barely moving

nina89

Reaction score
HELP my axie ariel is barely moving and just lost her bestfriend and mate to heat stress, I need to know if I should be fridging her right away.
I moved them to a smaller tank so i could leave there eggs be but I just found ross then lying on the bottom of the tank and he was fine last night. I am really upset and stressed I love my axies they have been together for almost 2yrs, I wish I would have looked closer at them to notice earlier:( It's been really cold here for a while and it just got hot all of a sudden. I dont want to lose her I will get pics to show you jst incase i am wrong about the heat stress, but sure looks like it from pics of different illness' I've seen.
She's usually a timid axolotl and thrashes all round the tank when the net comes in to get away and it was so upsetting to see her just get scooped up easily, I've tried feeding her and she just doesn't care and has not moved. I am worried a salt bath will stress her more considering she's looks so drained right now and the salt i have is iodised anyway so I cant use that, but if need be I will get some in the morning.
What should I do??? please help

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
They should be put in the fridge. Once she gets cool she should start coming around to her normal self. I've had it take a few days though on some.

Salt baths shouldn't be utilized unless you can see signs of fungus.

nina89

Reaction score
Thanks justin, problem is I just searched everywhere and I cant find anything she fits into She's too large for the lunch containers i have she would hurt herself if she tried to turn around, so I have her in a small aquarium (which unfortunately doesn't fit in the fridge), in my coldest room of the house on the floor. She has been there for a little while now, I just gave her some pellets and she took two so i'm very pleased with this, I'll watch her closely and if she worsens I will def buy a larger tub and pop her in the fridge until the weekend when I clean out the big tank, It is 3 times the size of my temporary tank and I have never had a problem with temperature so once she's in there and healthy again I will be happy.

Minniechild

Reaction score
Hey Nina,
First off, take a deep breath, you've caught the problem. So sorry to hear about you poor bloke, but Xolotl will watch over him :).
Now for a solution (though expect some more):
At coles and Wollies there are Sistema containers (look in food storage). They come in 5L and 7L. They are around $5-$9 depending on whether or not it is a sale gimmick week. They fit excellently in the fridge and would have no probs taking a full sized axolotl or two (I keep 3 juvies at 6-8cm per 7L, 2 per 5L), which also mean you can put in your prime straight to the containers-Get two so you can do water changes more easily.
Can you also give us your other water parameters and location (Syd, Melb etc)? Something else may be going on, and we really want to give your axie the best chance possible.
Chin up!

Minniechild

Reaction score
Also (Just double checking :) ) I saw in the pic on your profile you had gravel down...Have you swapped it for sand/bare glass? Coz that could very well be a contributing factor :S

nina89

Reaction score
I just wanted to tell you all that my axie has made a full recovery and is now back to 100%. Thankyou for your help guys...
I checked water paremetres when I first put them in the tank approx 2weeks ago and all was good. The temporary tank that I had them in had the same water from their tank and just before i took it 2 weeks ago I tested it and it was fine. I got rid of the water when I removed poor ross, I didn't think to check It i assumed it would have been fine but I probably should have.

@Minniechild, Thats a pic I took of ross the first week I purchased an axolotl, unfortunatley I did all my research at the aquarium, which as we all know dont know much about axolotls (I found a good one I'll stick with now) They sold me the gravel and said it was fine they also sold me a really fast flowing pump (idiots). That week I found this site and the gravel was gone straight away, Probably just in time too. A few people have asked the same question, Its the only pic of got of him tho so I dont wanna remove it.
and I'm from wollongong area which is south of sydney.

Minniechild

Reaction score
So glad it's gone (And I agree- so many aquariums have NO clue *sigh*, made worse by the fact we have one type of caudate in Australia)! And Congrats on getting your other one through it!!
So a 'gong person? Awesome, I've got a few friends from down your way, and there's some knowledgeable people down your way as well :D (I'm up north of Sydney, but always nice to find some more New South Welshwomen/men)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!