Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How I safely feed crickets

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I've read a lot about crickets biting salamanders (and other herps). What I do is crush all of the legs. My fire salamanders don't grab them quite as quick since they don't move as much, but they are usually gone within a few hours or by the next morning. It's pretty rare that a cricket doesn't move enough to grab their attention at some point. For a pickier eater, you could just remove a portion of the legs to slow them down enough to make them an easy catch and also to make it easier for the salamander to avoid it if needed. I still only leave 1-2 in the tank at a time but I have not had any issues thus far.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
This is interesting. I feed my fire salamanders worms and slugs as a staple , which they have no problems with. Perhaps you could try feeding them worms instead?

Stuart

BwKilcoyne

Reaction score
I do not bother even doing that. Aside from not wanting to crush their legs as I feel it is cruel, my tiger salamanders eat them before they even get anywhere. I feed them enough to fill them, as well as some left over. I have decorations in the tank too the crickets like to hide in, which they much prefer to hanging around the salamanders. I also keep a small amount of cricket food in the tank so they live longer. I have never once had an issue with crickets biting my salamanders, but I make sure not too add too many so they do not get overwhelmed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1