Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How long can axolotls withstand temperature of 73 degrees Fahrenheit

squirtleskil

Reaction score
my axolotls temperature has gone from normally being about 66 Fahrenheit to being 72 Fahrenheit. My tank has a water chiller but it seems as if that has broken. The temperature has been slowly increasing for the past few hours from 71 to 73. I put in two ziplock bags. One with ice and the other with an ice pack. This cooled the water a small bit. The axolotl has been eating. He is still growing and is not an adult. I was wondering if they can withstand temperatures around 73 F for about 12 hours since it’s night here. I am very worried about going to sleep and leaving him in that temperature.

squirtleskil

Reaction score
I know this temperature is bad for them but I am going to try my best and fix it tomorrow (about 10 hours from now)

squirtleskil

Reaction score
Temperature is now at 72.7 and I am trying to use ziplock bags with ice to cool it down. We are getting a new, bigger, water chiller.

wolfen

Reaction score
although it says that axolotls can tolerate up to 24°c/75°f there is nothing on how long they can safely tolerate it for, the only time that duration is mentioned is in the axolotl colony which mentions not keeping them at the extremes of temperature for more than two or three days although this can be interpreted as meaning for eggs and not adults, link here.. https://ambystoma.uky.edu/genetic-s...Issues-1-12/archive/Issue 3/09-16brothers.pdf

squirtleskil

Reaction score
My axolotl is a juvenile. Also, the temperature is starting to go down to a more safe, but still not optimal, 70 degrees Fahrenheit. He seems to be doing great and is eating and pooping just fine.

chaimdov

Reaction score
I find that the temperature of 73 in the air is fine as long as the water parameters are good. Keep a close eye on this.

squirtleskil

Reaction score
The temperature in the air is around 77 or something but the temperature in the water is now at a nice temperature of 65 so the problem has been resolved. Water parameters are good although the tank is still uncycled so we have to do a water change every other day.

stormi_weathers

Reaction score
We have recently bought an axolotl and our tank is bouncing from 68 to 70. I know a lot of people do not have access to freshwater creeks (Im from a reservation in NC) and just from keeping the salamanders that we would catch for the parkway? 70 is okay, 66-68 is ideal and with such warm water, your axolotl might be sluggish. Thats normal. But from the sounds of it, hes doing okay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1