Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many axolotls can I fit in my tank?

Cheesybreeee

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first time using this website and I'm not sure whether this is where you ask questions or not ?

Anywho, I've recently upgraded my tank for my axolotls, and I was hoping that I would maybe be able to get 1-2 more axolotls as well.

The tank size is 215L (57 gallons), 100cm long (3'3) and 50cm wide (1'7). I've seen lots of different opinions on different threads, and was hoping someone could share with me what they think would be a suitable amount of axolotls in this tank. I know some people would only keep one axie in this size, and others a lot more.

My current axolotls are around 20cm and are in a 55cm by 30cm 65L tank, and they seemed fine in that size while they were growing, but now I'm upgrading even though they were perfectly happy in the other tank (they never bumped the glass or swam around fast or moved a whole lot). By relative size, Id be able to fit six axolotls in my tank, but that would be too many in my opinion for sure ??

So, should I get none, one, or two more axolotls to accompany my current 2 axies in their new tank? Thank you ?

WalkingFish

Reaction score
For aquarium fish A good rule of thumb is one inch of fish for 1 gallon of water. Axolotls produce a lot more waste than typical aquarium fish, so making sure you have adequate filtration without too much water flow is very important. As far as how many axolotls you're going to put into that tank, I personally wouldn't put five axolotls in a 55 gallon tank because that's maxing it out plus I like plants and decorations. 4 axolotls is perfectly fine however you're doubling the amount of waste going into your water and you should upgrade your filter as well. I usually count 1 Axolotl is 10 inches of fish and I always round down when using the one inch to one gallon rule. I also always take into account the amount of real estate that will be eaten up by anything that I add into the tank other than the fish. Hope this helped.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1