Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many ghost shrimp is too much?

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello! I have an aquaclear 20 and a sponge filter in my 20 long. I was wondering how many ghost shrimp I can get? I was think like 10 or 12, because I’m sure my axolotl will eat some. Any thoughts?

Murk

Reaction score
Oof, really depends on the decorations, the axolotl, and whether or not you want to feed the shrimp.

If you do not have any decorations or hiding places, the axolotl likely won't just "eat some", but eat them all. The axolotl will be fat and happy but you won't have any shrimp.
With hiding places, it depends on the axolotl. Some axolotls are idiots and the shrimp might survive; others will be cunning hunters and will eat the shrimp regardless.

Hunter-prey relationships aside, how many shrimp fit in an aquarium depends less on the size of the tank, and more on the amount of food. Shrimp don't really need personal space - as long as there is enough food they'll be happy to live in an "overcrowded" tank.
So, basically, how many shrimp a tank can handle depends on whether or not you want to feed the shrimp, what kind of food you give the axolotl, and if you have any other sources of shrimp food (like decaying plants).

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
What Murk said !!

Adequate filtration is another factor when over stocking a tank. you should be good - shrimp love to polish sponge filters
Okay thank you! And I assume prime is safe for them? I’ve finally switched over and my lotl seems happier and more active, or maybe it’s just me😂 As far as decorations go, I have a flower pot, driftwood, a bunch of plastic plants that look like hair grass as the background, and a soft super cool looking plastic hornwort while I’m waiting till I get shrimp to add plants. My lotl has a thing about uprooting everything, and she squashed her java fern so now she’s having to wait for more plants. Thank you guys for all the help!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!