How much to get?

Traxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis
I know how to hatch brine shrimp but theres a good chance ima breed my axies and im wondering how many grams would be good to raise a good number of axies.(at least 15-20 and the eggs i cant find homes for) and i just wana know how much would i need to get so i dont end up with no baby axie food and a bunch of starving babies :p *good owner*

I know how to hatch brine shrimp but theres a good chance ima breed my axies and im wondering how many grams would be good to raise a good number of axies.(at least 15-20 and the eggs i cant find homes for) and i just wana know how much would i need to get so i dont end up with no baby axie food and a bunch of starving babies :p *good owner*

Just buy a batch of brine shrimp eggs Travis, you can order more if you start to run low. I use a teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs per hatch for small numbers of larvae. Keep the hatchery running all the time, you can harvest it every couple of days and start again. For storage of bbs set up a small tub/tank, make the salty water for it at the same time as you set the hatchery up so the salinity is the same. Feed lightly, over feeding will kill them fast, activate some yeast with hot water, let it sit in a warm area for a few hours then add one or two drops in the tank per day. You only need to store the bbs between batches of shrimp so it will only be a day or two. You can keep them in the fridge but my wife banned me from doing this after I kept some in a beer bottle and she drank them lol.
I use these Artemia Revolution - NT Labs but the 120g bottle, they are decapsulated (shell removed) so it doesn't mess the tanks up with empty eggs shells, make sure you get the eggs which are for hatching and not just fish food.

For what it's worth, a 50 gram bag of 90% hatch I got on ebay for $11 shipped from "yourfishstuff" was enough to raise several batches of my Spanish ribbed newt larvae; a little bit goes a long way. That was at least a 6-9 month supply of daily BBS for many larvae.

If you want to use daphnia or moina for axy food you will have to culture it yourself to have enough to use. Purchase a big starter culture and set up a couple cultures to get going. I like Dallasdiscus but their are lots of sources of daphnia. Moina is smaller and might be most appropriate for first foods.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back