Question: How often should a healthy axie poop?

vlcuXX

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
vlcuXX
I was just wondering how often a healthy axolotl should poop? Mine poop like 3-4 times a day ussually sometimes 1 or 2 so yea let me know. I know its a weird question but i was curious :p

Maybe you should stop over feeding your Axolotls with 25 feeder fish at a time...then maybe they would be healthier and on a more regular schedule.

Wow that seems like way to much. It depends a lot on what they are fed I think and the water temp which affects the digestion process. I would say mine poo 1-2 times a week? Not much. But they are fat and healthy.
it sounds like you are grossly over feeding your axies.

Uhhhm if u guys know what ur talking about (which u do) then could u make me a feeding schedule? :) would help i was just wondering how often they should poop in a week or so i guess mine do poo alot D: btw i dont feed 25 feeders at a time they finish those over a period of a month when i put them in and as i said they are newborn feeder guppies like FRY so yea idk why u should say that

How old are your axolotls? Feeding often depends on their age and size. :happy:

If still young or juvies ( 2-5 inches) Feed them everyday. A nice juicey worm with a couple pellets if you have them or you could do a bloodworm cube and half a medium sized worm each. Judge accordingly.

If older (5-9in) and adults, axolotls do not need to eat every day. Which is nice. Around 5 inches you can cut back to every other day. Feed a worm or a cube each. As their size increases feeding can decrease. You can start to feed once every 2-3 days or twice a week. I usually feed mine on a monday and again on thursday if they look hungry and beg a lot.

There really is no exact science to feeding axolotls. If you over feed it can lead to pudginess and also reduce lifespan... as in any animal.

A good rule to adjust feeding by: If you look down on your axolotl, their tummies should be no wider than their head. If their tummies are very thin then increase feeding... If looking wider than head or very close, reduce feeding. :happy:

Also remember that males usually are slimmer than females. This doesn't always mean they are not getting enough to eat.

And temp can play a role in how much they poo. Warmer temps make them digest faster and poo more. Cool temps and they digest slower- so less food needs to be given.

Hope this helps! :smile:

* here is a pic of my male Luna- well fed but not over fed :)

Attachments

• IMG_5361.jpg
    IMG_5361.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 2,552
Thanks skilly just take a look at my album it has pics of them :p idk how old they are exact but i had them for 3 months aprox. got them from a petstore

They look to be full grown adults, from what I can tell from your pictures. And they do look quite plump, lol. I would start feeding every other day or every 2 days. :D

There's been quite a lot of poop-related posts here on the forums lately so rather than starting a new thread I figured I'd ask here.

We got 2 great axolotls, which after quarantine now resides in the same tank with a divider, due to one being smaller, and us wanting them time to catch up in growing and getting used to each other. I never see them poop tho, and havnt seen any presents left for me either :p. What I do find is small black "junk" (could be smashed-up poo?). Both of them are very active and healthy and love to eat their earthworms, which I feed them everyday. One axolotl being 12.5cm and the other 16cm.
(When do you reckon I can remove the divider btw?)

Water parameters are good and as Ive said they've got a healthy apetite. I'm not worried really because they act like they are very much enjoying their life but I'm a little interested in why I never see any waste gathered up.

Substrate is sand, and water temp is at 17-18 degrees celcius.

Cheers for helping out :D!
CML

Last edited:
clm- The black flakes you see is dissolved axie poo. Depending on what is being fed their poo can be soft and dissolve easily or can be more compact and turd like. Yours sounds like it dissolves very fast which is why you never see any turds. haha.

And you should be able to put your axies together very soon! I would let the smaller one grow maybe one more cm or so before putting them together just to be careful. :D better safe than sorry.

clm- The black flakes you see is dissolved axie poo. Depending on what is being fed their poo can be soft and dissolve easily or can be more compact and turd like. Yours sounds like it dissolves very fast which is why you never see any turds. haha.

And you should be able to put your axies together very soon! I would let the smaller one grow maybe one more cm or so before putting them together just to be careful. :D better safe than sorry.

Thank you so much Grace!

I'm so glad I've read this I'm worried I've over fed our baby she's approx 4 months old she's been having a bloodworm cube every other day only 2day she seems very restless going round and around her tank and going up for air every 5 -10 mins and struggling to do so . She seems a bit wobbly on her feet too . She's had 3 poops today .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back