How to breed alpines

jamessamlev

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi everyone, I would every much like to set up a 4 foot tank and would like to know; how many alpines would happily live in there and what conditions I would need to replicate in order to breed them and if possible how to raise the offspring. All replies will be taken and used as advice :) thank you

Just make sure you provide either live plants or thin plastic cut into strips and tied at the base. I always prefer the live plant method as I like the "look" better. What are the dimensions(l x w x h)? Use plants like Elodea, sword plants, Java Moss, etc. All will be utilized. What ssp. of Alpine Newts are you going to be keeping? I. a. alpestris are larger than the apaunas, for example... Alpines will consume their own eggs, so most people pull them and raise them separate from the adults. Just use appropriately sized plastic tubs for the eggs and newly hatched. You will want to provide daphnia and Cyclops, etc when they are first ready to begin feeding, and as they grow move to larger prey like white worms, black worms, and so on.

JBear

In my limited experience with Alpines (apuanus) the correct photo period seems to be the most critical trigger for courtship, even more so than low temperatures. My friend has had his Alpine newts for many years and tells me they come into breeding condition every year with just the seasonal day length and variation of temps in a normal house to condition them.

Here is a good article from over on Caudata culture if you haven't seen it already. :) Caudata Culture Species Entry - Mesotriton (Triturus) alpestris

It would be about a 4x1.5x2

I would keep it to a 2:3, or 3:4 ratio. This is a large aquarium. However, the larger a group gets, the more conflict occurs regarding food and mating. Also you don't want to create excessive waste and allow ammonia to build. If it were up to me, I would pair off 1:1 in 10-20 gal enclosures. You will see better results and a more balanced system in the long run. I know some people claim that they will winter the females separate from males and that helps when they are reintroduced to inspire breeding. In my experience this is not required. Chinadog said it best in that it is mostly dependant on seasonally fluctuating room temps and photoperiods. These newts are some of the easiest to condition for breeding, IMO. I wish you the best, and I will ask again, which ssp. are you preparing to keep? The reason I continue to ask is that some ssp. are more tolerant of an aquatic lifestyle year round, others prefer a terrestrial dormancy period... For instance, some I. a. alpestris, and T. marmoratus will breed readily while remaining aquatic, while others will not be triggered without a terrestrial period.

JBear

A 4ft tank for alpines ? Your spoiling them lol, you can easily fit five pairs in there or 3.7.0 if you want a breeding group. Fill it full of plants and random bugs. A cooling period over winter will trigger breeding in the spring/summer when it warms up. Don't try to "breed" them, just provide a naturalistic environment, lots of live food, natural seasonal temp/light variations and they will fill the tank up with eggs when they are ready. I can provide a mixed sex group of adult I.a.alpestris if you want. Lovely newts to keep BTW.

My group breeds on their own every year. Kind of echoing what everyone else has mentioned : seasonal cooling (only 10-15F difference from summer temp) and a change in photo period both trigger breeding behavior. At this point the three males are basically always in breeding condition except for a brief period at the end of summer. They are very easy to breed and a joy to keep!

I just got a 5ft tank for my alpines, with the help of chinadog, im currently in setting it up mode, but would deffo love some adults to go in it, if any one can spare surplus stock... I have 3 adults at the moment.
880db27a76ed58cabca93644e1ff3da8.jpg

The tank is completely newt proof. And came with an awesome external prime aquamanta EFX 1200
33893b5624b0a92d13765e0e7655d641.jpg

And some lovely chunks of bogwood.
Ive acquired the book Ecology of the planted aquarium by Diana Walstad on Ben's advise so I can create and maintain a stunning as natural looking environment for the newts as possible

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I just got a 5ft tank for my alpines, with the help of chinadog, im currently in setting it up mode, but would deffo love some adults to go in it, if any one can spare surplus stock... I have 3 adults at the moment.
880db27a76ed58cabca93644e1ff3da8.jpg

The tank is completely newt proof. And came with an awesome external prime aquamanta EFX 1200
33893b5624b0a92d13765e0e7655d641.jpg

And some lovely chunks of bogwood.
Ive acquired the book Ecology of the planted aquarium by Diana Walstad on Ben's advise so I can create and maintain a stunning as natural looking environment for the newts as possible

Would love to see how this plays out, please do share some pics of the finished product :)

I'm keeping a photo diary and doing tonnes of research lots to do but in no rush at all. .
I'll start thread oncevi learn how to...!!!

I'm certain they'll be in heaven in a tank like that! Alpines almost look after themselves, especially when compared to the tiny Cynops morphs you are used to. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back