Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to cool down a semi-aquatic tank?

ntny

Reaction score
Hi guys

i have another new question.

how do you cool down a semi-aquatic tank? example a setup for Tylototriton shanjin?

my explaination below:
1) example the tank will be filled with less than half the height of the tank approx like 4-5 inches deep.
2) for land area it will be some huge and flat driftwoods tied together of approx 50% of tank surface area. some plants will be in the water area too to help climbing to land area.
3) the water will be filtered by a small 2-5watt internal filter and then cool down by a external chiller back to the tank.
4) the question is how about the land area. how to cool down the land area?
can the spray bar from the filter simulate water fall or raining to cool down the land area helps to cool it down?

thanks

sde

Reaction score
Yes you could try having the spray bar spray on the land, but you might not need it. The spray from the water might deter the newts from coming on the land area as well. -Seth

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
And I believe that Tylototriton shanjing rarely enters water outside of breeding season, so having a large water area there would pretty much be a waste of space to have there permanently

ntny

Reaction score
hi guys,

thanks for advice. so for a semi-aquatic setup for example Tylototriton shanjin or T.kweichowsis.
1) what's the recommended ratio of land to water area?
2) can i just use flat pieces of driftwoods for land instead of soil? i hate soil and sand due to hygine and cleaning reasons.
3) how deep should the water be (maximium)? the water should be as deep as possible so the chiller can cool it down properly.
4) i am able to cool down the water using a chiller. but i am worried about the land temp too high
5) whats the recommend temp for Tylototriton shanjin and T.kweichowsis
6) there is some device called mist maker or rain maker. will these help to cool down land temp?

thanks and cheers!

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Well, I can answer a couple, T. shanjing, for a permanent setup would only require a water bowl and I wouldn't use just a bunch of driftwood as land, it wouldn't provide a very good moister gradient. And from what I have heard, T. cf kweichowsis can use both a land and water area but I may also be mistaken on that part. Adult T. verrucosus could be mostly water with some floating cork bark for a land area however

ntny

Reaction score
hi aaron

thanks for advice.
supplier says he doesnt know for sure if they are T. verrucosus or T.shanjing and they might even be T.kweichowsis.so i am preparing and asking some questions incase they are not T. verrucosus.

1) ok so is T.kweichowsis more aquatic than T.shanjing?
2) whats the optimum temp for T.kweichowsis and T.shanjing? i do know they perfer cooler than T. verrucosus.

thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1