How to divide tank?

Sonny

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been getting mixed signals on how to seperate male and female axies. I just want a clear answer to make sure they stay safe.

A bit of context is I have a male and female axie who haven't attempted to mate at all, the male attacked the female and now I wish to seperate them.

Can I just use a standard tank separator (with small holes) to keep them apart and prevent cannibalism and mating? Or so I need to completely seal off the two?

A tank divider will be sufficient so long as you get one that’s large enough that it comes above the water and reaches the bottom of the tank. I had the same thing happen with my axies where the male bit the hand off of the female. I got a tank divider that was a bit too small and at first the female dug her way through the sand substrate, underneath the barrier and went and visited the other side, and then when I lowered it they just jumped over it on the top. So as long as you get one large enough then you’ll be fine. I suggest one that is a bit too large as you can cut it down to make it fit perfectly if need

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back