Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to keep a juvenile tubbed for a while?

Silver Pin

Reaction score
I had a tank that cycled but after a water change the nitrifying bacteria disappeared and stopped cycling. I have already placed an order on the juvenile so I have a bout a day or two until it arrives. Can I keep it tubbed for a couple of weeks in something like a 5 gallon bucket or tank? And should I put a air stone? I only have 5 gallons and one filter designed for a 20 gallon. Thank you!

JM29

Reaction score
How do you know the nitrifying bacteria disappeared ?

Silver Pin

Reaction score
How do you know the nitrifying bacteria disappeared ?
I checked the parameters and the ammonia was converted in 24 hours but after the water change ammonia is no longer being converted. Same thing goes for nitrites. I used dechlorinated water.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
I checked the parameters and the ammonia was converted in 24 hours but after the water change ammonia is no longer being converted. Same thing goes for nitrites. I used dechlorinated water.
you can keep then in a tub for really as long as you need to as long as you are changing 100% of the water every day with fresh cool water.

that said, water changes by themselves wont kill your bacteria cultures. Something else would have had to disrupt it. Did you also clean your filter? change your filter cartridge?

How long has the tank been set up? What dechlorinator are you using? and have you been adding any starter bacteria?

Silver Pin

Reaction score
you can keep then in a tub for really as long as you need to as long as you are changing 100% of the water every day with fresh cool water.

that said, water changes by themselves wont kill your bacteria cultures. Something else would have had to disrupt it. Did you also clean your filter? change your filter cartridge?

How long has the tank been set up? What dechlorinator are you using? and have you been adding any starter bacteria?
I did not mess with the filter at all since cycling started. I started cycling at the beginning of February. I use sea chem prime. I did add tetra safe start recently to introduce more bacteria.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
I did not mess with the filter at all since cycling started. I started cycling at the beginning of February. I use sea chem prime. I did add tetra safe start recently to introduce more bacteria.
how much ammonia was it converting in 24 hours before?

Silver Pin

Reaction score
As long as it is safe to have it in a tub while the cycle recovers. The tank I have is 2 1/2 gallon.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
i agree with gulf coast axolotls, just keep them fed and happy with complete water changes (dechlorinated)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!