How to make a background?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m sorry this isn’t a tank post, but I figured this forum would have the most knowledge on this topic. I am preparing to make a BioActive vivarium for my tiger sal. I want a custom background with a built in waterfall into a pool. (I was thinking spray foam would be easiest for this.)

I want it to be black or darkish grey like a rocky cliff face since I feel it would make the white and cream colors in my tiger sal “Pop” more. How can I make a spray foam background appear like rock instead of the dirt most are? Would sand work? Should I use another material for the outside?

I hope my question isn’t to difficult. Thank you in advance.

E. Sylvanus

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just finished my first fake rock background for a gecko habitat. I had reasonably good success carving Styrofoam and spray foam to get a rocky texture, and am planning on using a similar technique for my newt’s tank as well. I’m planning on sealing and painting the foam with Drylok mixed with concrete pigment.

I would imagine that putting a layer of sand over the top while the Drylok is wet would adhere it to the foam (it worked on the polycrylic in the gecko tank). Another alternative might be using clear silicone and pressing the sand onto that.

Hopefully someone who has more experience can give you some better suggestions, but that’s all I’ve figured out so far. I’ll know more in a couple weeks when my tank is done.

Pictures are of the rock texture in the gecko tank:

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the help yours looks great, just what I want but a dash to light for my idea. I could definitely make it work! I’ll keep it in mind.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • MVM1991:
    Where'd you get that? Or is it just a combo from petsmart or something?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m pretty sure I got it at a Walmart.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I just looked it up to see if I can find it again. It’s actually a hyGROmeter and temperature. Which measures the dew point. Here is the difference between due point and humidity. https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidityYou can calculate Th relative
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    the relative humidity using the dew point measurement.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Here is the product I purchased:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    it has a stand. And I had a spare suction from my filter. So it’s on the wall of my Sal’s enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    That’s a pic of it in the enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Nice! Also, from what I can see you have an amazing setup! What species?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    S. S. Gigliolli
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Ooo nice!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Thank you! I tried to share the video but unsuccessful. You can see it on my IG story @jnerdx
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!
    +2
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hey y'all, recently my juvenile axolotl's tail has been floating and can swim down but his tail lifts to an angle and I believe that it is stressing him out. He gets in between his plants to balance himself and I am cleaning out the bottom of the tank with my baster. I believe I overfed him and he also may have eaten many air bubbles. He's been like this for nearly 1 1/2 days.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    What would be the best thing to do ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Redear has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if hot glue is fine to glue rocks together?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Should be. Hot glue is good when dry I believe, just don't let it get too hot and you should be good. Most super glues are good as well just watch out for flume warnings
    +2
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks! I am going to glue together the shale I mentioned.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    hello, I am currently tubbing my axolotl due to cycling the tank. I have read different answers on how many times to do a 100% water change a day when tubbing. Some say once and some say twice. I just want to actually ask and get answers for myself. Thank
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    As often as you need to keep the water clean! Since you´re cycling, I assume you have a test kit. Just test a few times to see how long it takes for your ammonia to go up, and as soon as it does, change the water.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Yes,I have the master test kit. Thank you! So just test the water in the tub that my axolotl is in now to gauge off of for changing?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the water is always clean
    +1
    Unlike
    Murk: That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the... +1