How to make screen lid

kittski

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
alicia
I'm trying to make a screen lid for my tank but it has a bowed front and I'm not sure what kind of framing would work. There's a hinged glass lid that needs to stay in place so the screen lid will only go half-way back. (Hope that makes sense.) Any suggestions/tips?

Here's a pick of what I'm working with.
Alicia

Attachments

• tank lid.jpg
    tank lid.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 580

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a really difficult problem, due to the curved side. There are 3 basic methods I use for this. (1) Make a frame out of wood. It would need to have groove on the underside that fits securely over the tank rim. But making a curved piece of wood with a perfectly curved groove is something that only a very talented woodworker could get right. (2) Get "Industrial Strength" velcro of the adhesive kind, and sew-on velcro of the non-adhesive kind. Put the "soft" side of the adhesive velcro on the tank rim. Sew the "rough" side onto the screen material. I have done this, and it works very nicely... but... the cost of the velcro is much greater than if you simply... (3) Buy a screen lid.

For this type of tank, option 1 required difficult woodworking, option 2 requires difficult sewing, and option 3 may be a product that does not exist (I've never seen any screen lids sold for bowfront tanks).

As an alternative, does the glass lid have any cut-out areas that would allow you to put a tiny fan over the tank? I'm thinking of these little computer-type fans that they sell now for installation over aquariums.

kittski

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
alicia
Thanks for the input. My options are obviously pretty limited but at least I don't feel so dumb not being able to come up with a solution! I spent an hour scouring Home Depot looking for some kind of molding to use but found nothing. The velcro sounds like I really good idea though and I'll probably go with that.

The tank has one computer fan at the back but it doesn't hit the water directly. I want to add another set of fans up front and thought a screen would be easier than trying to cut the glass :)

Thanks a bunch,
Alicia

For this type of tank, option 1 required difficult woodworking, option 2 requires difficult sewing, and option 3 may be a product that does not exist (I've never seen any screen lids sold for bowfront tanks).

As an alternative, does the glass lid have any cut-out areas that would allow you to put a tiny fan over the tank? I'm thinking of these little computer-type fans that they sell now for installation over aquariums.

bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Julia
My only thought was maybe sew a wide band of elastic around the edge of the fabric ( think hair net!) and use it to cover the whole tank.

caudataman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Brian
Not super easy, but can be done. Here's what I'd do...

1. Take the glass piece that sits open in you photo off of its hinge.

2. go to Home Depot, Leows, or any hardware store that offers lexan sheets in a similar thickness.

3. cut a sheet of Lexan to match glass piece with a coping saw and a fine blade or a dremel or rotary cutter

4. cut out an inner area to be screened in with similar tools

5. affix screen with glue, silicone, or some other method.

6. replace glass piece with new lexan screen section.

to lock the lid, small clamps can be placed on the tank rim that will prevent the new section from being raised. Let us know how you make out...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • madcaplaughs:
    @MadamePirateOwl Fridging is best left to life-or-death situations, and salt baths are unnecessarily harsh, stressful, and abrasive. I'd suggest doing tea baths instead (using caffeinated black tea, where the only ingredient is black tea).
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    so no idea what the goop is?
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    Hard to tell without a photo, but might be algae or fungus floating. Water changes will take care of that.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    It definitely came from the axolotl. Looked to be mixed into poo the first time. Can I post the photos here?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Im not actually sure how i would post it. It seems to want a link
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Its fairly thick and chunky
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    (Also thanks for your patience and help!)
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    You could always upload the photo to imgur and link it back here
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    The second image was how it looked the first time, it was mixed with some other poop like stuff. after that its been small and without the poopy stuff
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    The second photo looks reminiscent of partially-digested worms, though I've never seen anything like that. Have you checked your parameters lately?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Right now theyre in smaller tubs that i do daily water changes in
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    I'll admit Ive bought test strips but they havent come in yet
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    I use Prime to dechlorinate the water, which was recommend by the girl I got them from
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    For now I'd tub the axolotl and do daily 100% water changes until you're able to test your parameters
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    I'd also recommend ordering a liquid test kit such as the API Freshwater Master Test Kit since strips are generally unreliable and inaccurate.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Okay, thank you for your help and advice :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • k.em:
    anybody growing tylototriton?
    +2
    Unlike
  • pixxie:
    +1
    Unlike
  • pixxie:
    hi I’m looking for some insight, it would really help if you could check out what I have written^
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mbnavy98:
    Hey so does anyone ever update this site. I mean the photo contest from 2012..
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mbnavy98:
    Wait in finding newer posts in different forums
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Mbnavy98 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chelsea smith:
    Hello! Anyone there right now by chance? I have a couple questions about plants in an axolotl tank.
    +2
    Unlike
    Chelsea smith: Hello! Anyone there right now by chance? I have a couple questions about plants in an axolotl tank. +2