How to ship an axolotl abroad..??

kaletsuki

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm moving to Japan (in America rn) in less than a month for school. I'll be gone for a year and my mom will be taking care of my axolotl Honey. I'll miss him very much, and it sounds silly but he's helped me a lot mentally these past few months. I even teared up thinking about leaving him today.
Here's the deal though... If I like the country, I'm planning on living there for a few more years. I don't want to leave Honey with my mom for years. How would I go about sending him to Japan?? I still have months and months to figure it out, but is it even an option?

The short answer is it is very difficult and expensive to ship axolotls to Japan. You would be better off buying a salamander there. You would need export paperwork, import paperwork, and a CITES permit to begin with. You might also need a vet certificate and quarantine. All of that would be very expensive.

The short answer is it is very difficult and expensive to ship axolotls to Japan. You would be better off buying a salamander there. You would need export paperwork, import paperwork, and a CITES permit to begin with. You might also need a vet certificate and quarantine. All of that would be very expensive.
Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I really don't care about the difficulty or price. I found that for Japan, you don't need to quarantine amphibians but to be honest, that's the only useful info I've been able to find ahaaa

It's been years since I exported any salamanders to Japan. I always used an import export company and regulations were difficult. I've never exported axolotls because on top of the normal permits you also need CITES paperwork that takes a long time to clear. Exporting salamanders from the U.S. is still permitted in 2022 but easiest if you go through an import export company. It might be possible to get a one time pet export/import permit but I doubt it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back