How to switch babies foods

NellyAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have been raising my babies for many weeks, but I cannot get them to switch from their current food of baby brine shrimp to any other food source. They are about the length of a persons little finger (some longer, some shorter) but still will only eat baby brine shrimp.

What should they be fed next?
How can I get them to switch food?
What have other people done?

Advice please!

It might be worth trying bloodworms next, but make sure that you chop them into small pieces so that they are easy to eat for your little ones. You could try putting a small amount of BBS and chopped blood worms down for them, if they wont take just chopped bloodworms. See how they get one.
Sometimes it can take a while to get them to change foods.
Keep trying and let us know how you get on. :happy:

So I have been raising my babies for many weeks, but I cannot get them to switch from their current food of baby brine shrimp to any other food source. They are about the length of a persons little finger (some longer, some shorter) but still will only eat baby brine shrimp.

What should they be fed next?

How can I get them to switch food?

What have other people done?

Advice please!

I'm kind of in the same boat, my little guys love bloodworms and I'm trying to get them to eat some sinking carnivore pellets as well but they're not all that interested!
The key is repetition.. Just keep feeding them the brine shrimp but incorporate some bloodworms in as well and eventually they'll start to warm up to them.
I hand feed mine with "ExoTerra" brand reptile feeding tweezers and it works like a charm! Just defrost some frozen bloodworms in some water from their tank, and use the tweezers to pick up a small clump and dangle it in front of their faces! :)

It might be worth trying bloodworms next, but make sure that you chop them into small pieces so that they are easy to eat for your little ones. You could try putting a small amount of BBS and chopped blood worms down for them, if they wont take just chopped bloodworms. See how they get one.
Sometimes it can take a while to get them to change foods.
Keep trying and let us know how you get on. :happy:

Its working! Thank you very much for your help!

I'm kind of in the same boat, my little guys love bloodworms and I'm trying to get them to eat some sinking carnivore pellets as well but they're not all that interested!
The key is repetition.. Just keep feeding them the brine shrimp but incorporate some bloodworms in as well and eventually they'll start to warm up to them.
I hand feed mine with "ExoTerra" brand reptile feeding tweezers and it works like a charm! Just defrost some frozen bloodworms in some water from their tank, and use the tweezers to pick up a small clump and dangle it in front of their faces! :)

Thanks for all your advice! Mixing the two worked very well! They now love the bloodworms!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back