HVAC company visiting to install cooling, some questions for cooling and heating separate rooms simultaneously.

Starcraft

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rowdy Hotel
Good to be back after some time away from Caudata.org

I've had to bounce around over the years and never really felt like I could properly house some of my favorite amphibians and chamaeleons. Now that I am able to I would like dedicated rooms for my animals.

Unfortunately they have very different requirements.

I keep many angelfish and discus which like water in the mid 80's along with reptiles who also like warmer temps. It is difficult to keep this room cooler than the upper 70's and in the summer often stays above 80 for days on end.

This is too warm for the newts and salamanders I like and the chamaeleons I would like to get (they need a big night drop into the 50's of possible, 60's if not).

I've got a couple HVAC companies lined up and I would like to see if they can design a system for me where one room can be cooled and the heat generated by the condenser (normally in a unit outside of the home) can be recycled and used to warm another room.

I'm hoping this will save me some energy costs to make it worthwhile.

It has crossed my mind to cut a hole in a wall and install a window unit with the condenser side situated in the room I would like to warm, however I am aware that a window AC takes condensed water and flings it onto the coils helping cool them but not all of this water is evaporated and as a result water droplets are expelled outdoors (or in my case a warm fish room) oftentimes containing a substantial load of bacteria.

Large commercial units can spread Legionnaires' Disease in this manner.

This may still be possible if there is a way to catch and drain condensed water and not use it to cool coils if the AC can still operate properly.

I am going to see if any local companies can design an AC or heat pump that will not waste heat or cold to the atmosphere.

Anybody have any ideas about this? I worry they will laugh at my idea, though I would understand if they said they could deisgn no such system.

In which case I may just opt to cool rooms and use an alternative form of heat for the fish room, like pellets or wood.

When it comes to cooling and heating separate rooms simultaneously, it's worth discussing your options with the HVAC company. They can advise you on the best setup for your home's layout and needs. Also, if you ever need help with appliances, repairs, or maintenance, I've found musiccityappliance.services to be reliable and knowledgeable. They might have some insights on HVAC systems too.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back