Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HW Pleurodeles nebulosus

H

henk

Here are some shot of pleurodeles nebulosus. Enjoy them...

A head of a gravid female
30049.jpg

This next is a male preparing to breed
30050.jpg

Hungry.. hungry ...
30051.jpg

Headshot of that same juvenile , other aperture
30052.jpg

D

danny

Henk, Ive noticed that your P nebulosus, has the same little black 'pores' that my P waltl. Is this a normal thing with their skin?

J

joeri

I'm really curious about this subspecies. Obviously they don't seem to have the orange dots that indicate the ribs; but does that mean they can't push them out like waltls? Have they developed another defense system? Or maybe it's a change in habitat?
Are they as big?

And I love the third picture
biggrin.gif

ps: this reminds me that I should try to take decent pictures of my waltls. I got them in 3 times and I think I have at least 2 subspecies. 2 males look so different than the other males - skinnier, orange dots look almost pierced by the ribs. But not skinny in a unhealthy way, just different.

H

henk

The granulated skin is normal
And Joeri nebulosus is not a subspecies but a true species. Theu do not have those orange dots anywhere on the body, if they can penetrate the body or not .. well I won't try that out , but my guess is , that is it possible. But im' not sure wether the newt would recover.
They are much tinier then regular walt, far more elegant. I believe mine musxt be around 14 cm, wheres waltl is much larger.

Well I'm sorry but I have no decent digital shots on waltl. That's another species I would need to restart keeping for a while to do a good slide documentation ... This year I will intend to cover more European species in making slides.. hope I'lll succeed.

J

joeri

Hehe, sorry, I ment a subspicies of the pleurodeles family, but I won't call it that anymore. Just to make sure we're on the same line I add that I suspect to have subspicies of the waltl family.
happy.gif

Do you intend to write a book Henk? Looks like you could start doing that with all your documentation you have and plan to have later on.

H

henk

WEll it's a bti too early, but I'm currently involved in helping out Serge & Frank for something in Dutch and I have had requests from 2 other keepers to assist with shots... and then I may maybe do something else too.. but it takes time, soo much time.

J

joeri

Good luck with the other projects as well. It's a shame a book doesn't write itself, isn't it?

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Danny Bitz wrote on Sunday, 30 January, 2005 - 00:16 :</font>

"Henk, Ive noticed that your P nebulosus, has the same little black 'pores' that my P waltl. Is this a normal thing with their skin?"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Danny, that is normal, my waltls have that feature too. But if you look closely you'll notice that the black dots can change colour a bit depending on the lightning. Waltls can be amazingly colourful.

D

danny

Joeri, Ive noticed that my waltls change colour also. First thing in the morning they are very pale, almost sick looking to human standards, and once they start to get active they start to get really dark again.

J

joeri

That was not the colour change I was talking about, but mine have that too. Must have something to do with them sleeping and being even lesser active.
wink.gif

S

sergé

Defensive behaviour is completely different in P. nebulosus; for a picture see: F. PASMANS, S. BOGAERTS, D. DONAIRE-BARROSO & D. HERBERT, 2002. Field notes on Pleurodeles poireti in Tunisia. Zeitschrift fuer Feldherpetologie 9 (1)111-115 or for habitatpicutres see: PASMANS, F. & S. BOGAERTS, 2001. Beobachtungen an Pleurodeles poireti in Nord Tunesien. Elaphe 9: 70-71.(Observations on Pleurodeles poireti in northern Tunisia)

B

ben

Henk, i just picked up ten P.waltl that are three years old when i got to them they turned out to be no more than 12cm long and had just spawned so i'm guessing they're P.nebulosus is there any definite way to tell them apart other than size and what temp is best for them? other than that hope your well, just picked up my Herpele, lovely animals how
Ben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!