Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hydra in my newt tank, what should i do?

Aquaticjade

Reaction score
I just noticed I have a hydra outbreak in my adult danube crested tank. I have planaria zero which is a shrimp/invert safe hydra+planaria treatment. It claims its an all natural herb. I have used it many times in shrimp and fish tanks and it really does do the job. However I'm unsure with newts how this works. Should I kill the hydra or leave it be? Has anyone used any type of treatments with newts?

Lamarca

Reaction score
I’ve never heard of anyone dealing with this but just to be safe I’d do a full water change. They’ll prolly come back but it’ll give you some time, I don’t think it could be too bad but if they got a treatment for it then…

Aquaticjade

Reaction score
I’ve never heard of anyone dealing with this but just to be safe I’d do a full water change. They’ll prolly come back but it’ll give you some time, I don’t think it could be too bad but if they got a treatment for it then…
I do weekly 50% WC in all of my fish and newt tanks. Hydra sticks themselves to glass, plants, and wood so simple WCs do nothing to them. Not to mention if you break one, it will just split into two hydra and again and again (that is how they 'reproduce') so manual removal is pretty much futile when dealing with hydra....

Supposedly the main ingredient in no planaria/planaria zero is betel nut palm extract. No way to know if it's amphibian safe though...

JM29

Reaction score
I've had Hydras in a ribbed newts big larvae tank.
Since I don't feed them anymore with daphnia, Hydras were starving, not able to thrive and disappeared by themselves.

Last edited:

CWhit

Reaction score
Greater pond snails eat hydra, it's how I got rid of them in my tank. I manually removed the ones I could, by using my finger & wiping on tissue, then the snails took care of the rest.

CWhit

Reaction score
Plus they're big enough to remove easily, and the eggs as well. Although I kept mine & they're keeping the tank algae free. The newts eat the babies as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1