Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hyla arenicolor

OMGNemi

Reaction score
The story of the frog is in my profile:

Okay, I found the frog like this:

I was in the bathroom doing my bathroom thing. I got up to flush, and SOMETHING JUST BEHIND THE SEAT MOVED. AAAAHHHHH! A frog. A tree frog. I was unaware we had tree frogs where I live. SURPRISE! We do.
At any rate I was hoping that maybe someone can give me some more specifics on their care. She seems fairly happy, but as this frog walked in from the desert, I'm wondering if there's some difference in her care from other North American tree frogs. Should I keep the humidity so high? Or would she do better if I kept it lower like it is around here? (And it's HARD to keep the humidity high.)

She seems happy now, but I want to think about her future, too. :frog:

PS, here's her picture (She's resting after a meal, her stripes get darker when she's active.)

OMGFROG.jpg

Random_photos

bobberly1

Reaction score
They like high humidity, but I would pesonally allow engough ventilation for it to stay above 100%. What size is it?

Keeping the humidity high isn't hard, just keep it in an aquarium (which you alreadt are) with a mostly impermeable cover and mist.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
OMG I lost a frog like that in my bathroom!!! LMAO thats funny. Honestly I did. No its not my frog we have a septic tank and I'm two hours south of you. We found it in drying puddle near Mescal(e) - other side of the reddington pass. I think it was trying to bury itself but was just to weak or couldn't find the right kind of ground.

I brought it home to ID it - usually I just use pics - but since we were going back to the canyon the next weekend I decided to take it home. We know the creek that runs through there goes underground in places and stays above ground in others and we dropped it off near one of those spots. Yeah I did find it eventually.

I just thought it was funny you found a frog in your bathroom and I lost one in there.

Sharon

OMGNemi

Reaction score
What size is it?
About 1.5 to 2 inches, maybe.

The humidity can be an issue here... I put a lid on that was recommended to me, but I feel like the screen is just letting too much moisture out. I'm thinking about getting a glass aquarium lid, and removing a panel of that for ventilation, and then placing the screen on top, maybe?

ferret_corner said:
... I'm two hours south of you.

Actually, I live *outside* Tucson, to the north, but no one really seems to know where it is, so I just put "Tucson" for brevity. I'm actually on the other side of Mt. Lemmon, about 40 miles north of Tucson.

Out here, there's a lot of little pools right now left from monsoon rains - the granite collects rainwater in these weird little natural basins. I'm assuming that's where she came from - she's colored like a granite rock, and the boulders can keep moisture under them pretty good during dry times.

keechoo

Reaction score
I put a screen on my aquarium and then put a glass lid on top. If it gets too humid I just open the top for a bit until things are good. It seems to be working well. Just make sure you close the lid before you go to bed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1