Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hypselotriton orientalis

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
My H. orientalis are finally laying fertile eggs, and the first one hatched today, before the others hatch I was wondering how cannibalistic they would be as larvae, I have some 5"x5" plastic tubs I could put some in or I could give each of them their own plastic cup. Also, how deep do you think the water should be? And would feeding chopped whiteworms and moist smashed pellets be okay until they get bigger?
Aaron

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Congratulations, prepare yourself for the horde.
The larvae are not particularly cannibalistic. If well fed and provided with visual barriers, aggressions are rare. It's always a good idea to separate them in size groups, though, as the smaller larvae are always at a higher risk. Even so, like i say, you might get the odd piece of tail or leg nibbled but that's usually it.
I'd recommend a larger tank, well planted and fully cycled. The best resulst are obtained that way. You don't have to worry about water depth.
Such an environment also provides the larvae with food until they get big enough to take Daphnia and other suitable foods. Beware of whiteworms, they are nutritionally poor. I would only use them very sparangly if at all. Chopped pellets are unlikely to work while the larvae are small. After a certain size, though, they can become very adept at eating pellets.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Well, Ive been raising the larvae in the tank with the adults for the most part until I can see that they're eating fine, and growing fine, and when they reach the point that they can eat the extra whiteworm I had and some other stuff I could get to fit in their mouths, I moved them into a separate 2.5 gallon temporary tank thats full of plants.
So now I believe one has started metamorphosis a little bit, having a lower tail fin, shorter gills, and an adult belly pattern/coloration. I will be going to the petstore tomorrow to pick up another tank thats a little bigger for ones that are about half way through metamorphosis and will keep them in their with a lower water level, and will keep them in their most of the time after metamorphosis, since ill be raising them aquatically.
Some of them are at the point where they can take frozen bloodworms, unless you think I should keep going with whiteworms, or I can go with both which seems safer, I have also fed smashed newt pellets and cichlid gold which they all have been accepting, usually if they see it dropped in front of their faces, though they haven't snapped at each other yet either.
Any advice on dealing with the larvae or what to do with them after I get them aquatic and through metamorphosis is well appreciated.
And since I moves them into their own tank, I was able to get some decent pictures of them, so enjoy these iPhone quality pictures.
Aaron​

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 287

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They look great! If they will eat pellets i will make life easier for you. I would keep feeding the pellets as he whiteworms and bloodworm are a bit one sided as a staple, there's no harm in feeding them alongside the pellets though.
To have the best chance of hem staying aquatic, you really need to cram the plants in there. The stuff you have in there will be fine, but I would get more of it and maybe fill in the gaps with Java moss. Good luck with them! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1