Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I am a new tiger salamander larvae owner and i need some advice.. please read.!!!

MissLizD13

Reaction score
Ok so i have had a "waterdog" for 7 days now, and "she" i think seems to be doing fine. i have reptisafe or w.e. its called to help dechlorinate the water. i do siphoning of the tank bottom daily and small water changes daily as i siphon. i feed her about 2 worms every other day. am i feeding her not enough or too much? she has 1 hide away rock and 2 small fake plants. no gravel due to reading they can swollow it. i feed her from a tweezers.she has gotten use to it. i also have her in a 10 gallon tank with a 10 gallon hanging tank filter. i had gotten the tank brand new and had fish in it recently for about 3 days doing water changes and siphoning. i then put the fish in my big tank with all the rest of my fish after i got my salamander larvae. she is 9 inches long the length of a normal butter knife. i am unsure if i am caring for her right or not. i also have a thermometer on the outside of the tank that read 72-74 degrees. i live in colorado springs colorado and we dont have AC only heat so i am curious as how to take the water temperature down to keep her cooler in the summer. also i am unsure if she is neotenic or of her approximate age. i am thinking she is a barred tiger salamander. i am curious about how to possibly incourage her to start morphing. i wouldnt mind her getting bigger though..i hear they grow the most as larvae. any other information on what else i could feed her as well would be nice too. i had some (2-3) small feeder fish in her tank and she wouldnt touch them or pellet food i tried to give her. she eats night crawlers like no tomorrow though with no hesitation. ive heard you can feed them shrimp? can it be store bought like at a walmart and does it have to be cooked? she wouldnt touch crickets. any other foods i could try to get her to eat. also i am curious as to what specific species of tiger salamander she is.. below is my facebook page where her pictures and videos may be seen.

https://www.facebook.com/elizabeth.duerr.pinkston/photos_albums

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Have a look at this article from our Caudata Culture area for care of larval tigers and metamorphosing Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

Night crawlers are the perfect food; don't bother with other foodstuffs.

It is impossible to accurately sex larval tiger salamanders.

Subspecies really can't be determined without DNA and or locality of origin information.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1